cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 'Can't create directory' when editing a theme

Error 'Can't create directory' when editing a theme

Hello,

First of all I hope I posted in the correct section. 

I installed Magento CE v2.1.5 on a subdomain of mine. 

When I go to Admin Panel -> Content -> Configuration and I choose to edit the theme for a store (I have only one) I get the error "There has been an error processing your request. Exception printing is disabled by default for security reasons. Error log record number: 1428033442577".

Opening the respective file on var/ report, it says this: "a:4:{i:0;s:117:"Can't create directory /home/raldesig/magento.lafoisor.ro/var/generation/Magento/Theme/Model/Design/Backend/Favicon/.";i:1;s:12228:"#0 /home/raldesig/magento.lafoisor.ro/vendor/magento/framework/Code/Generator/Autoloader.php(35): Magento\Framework\Code\Generator->generateClass('Magento\\Theme\\M...')"

The 'var' folder has permission 0755 and I even checked the option Recurse into subdirectories -> Apply to all files and directories from FileZilla but with no result. 

Having a shared hosting I have no access to log in to the server in order to write some permission codes. 

How can I solve this problem? At this point I have no theme on the website (altough it's only for testing purposes).