cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help... Installing extensions through Magento Connect breaks the admin backend page Magento 1.7

Help... Installing extensions through Magento Connect breaks the admin backend page Magento 1.7

Hi,

I am having a problem with my Magento. I run 2 stores from this installation. All have been well for the past 3 years however, I just tried to install an extension the other day and all of a sudden, after installation when I go back to the admin dashboard, only the header is shown. Tried as I might, I couldn't get back the admin page. So went to the server and manually deactivated the module in the xml file (turned active from True to False)

Once that was done, I deleted all the relevant entries in the Mysql DB and lo and behold the admin page was back again.

From then on, everytime I tried installing an extension, same thing would happen.

Yesterday I tried disabling the compile and all of a sudden, I could install the extensions I wanted. I  was ecstatic ... went crazy and installed a couple of extension... The admin page was there and working... I was in heaven

However, today, out of curiosity, I checked one of the stores homepage and all that would load was the background image... nothing else. In a hurry I went and turned the compilation on which broke everything... went to the backend and deactivated the modules I had installed an now everything is back to square one. The stores are working but the original problem is now back.

I am at wits end. any help or pointers is appreciated. Please please help

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Help... Installing extensions through Magento Connect breaks the admin backend page Magento 1.7

Personally, I don't recommend installing packages through the Magento Connect manager. You should always review the code before installing what you need to install on the platform.

One way to do this is by copying and pasting the extension key from Magento Connect on this website: http://freegento.com/ddl-magento-extension.php

By doing that, you will be able to direct download the extension/language pack code and review it. Then you just have to install the extension like any other extension.

Is your website still down?

Welcome to the Magento Forums. Remember to introduce yourself and read the Magento Forums Guidelines.

Re: Help... Installing extensions through Magento Connect breaks the admin backend page Magento 1.7

Thanks for the pointer.

No the website is not down but then again, I cannot install the extensions I want. It is catch-22, If I install an extension, the whole site breaks but if I don't then what is the use of Magento? 

I would contact the developers of the extensions that you are interested in installing to insure that they are compatible with your magento version. Also, let the extension developer know what issues you are having and be sure to let them know it TOTALY BREAKS your magento. Perhaps the extension developer will be kind enough to offer support for their product. IF they are not willing to offer you install support or tips and tricks for your install and all it does is break your magento ...why would you want to work with them anyway ...right?

Good luck.

~b.

I do not think the problem is the Extension. As of right now ANY extension I install breaks one of the sites. It  wasn't like this but am not sure what has changed recently.

One of the extensions is the new Google Merchant feed (by Google itself)... 

As I said, installing the extensions when the compile is off works... However, as soon as I turn compilation on, the admin panel and both websites breaks. If I keep compilation off, then one of the sites sites breaks (I only see the background image of the site)

I cannot just give up on extensions.... 

You must disable Compilation before you install any extension.

Did you install the extension while Compilation was still enabled? 

At this point I don't recall. That is very possible