cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help: Magento is running very slow

Help: Magento is running very slow

Hello, my magento is always running very slow, and I like to know if somebody could give me some advice to make it faster and gain a greater score at Speed Insights. Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Help: Magento is running very slow

Would you be able to share your site URL?

The quickest way to get a faster site if you're on a cheap host is to go with a more expensive hosting plan. This can make a massive difference. 

I'd double check that you have all of your Magento caches and varnish configured. 

After that, you'll probably need to get further under the hood with a developer to see if there are poor customisations that are making requests slow or inadvertently creating uncacheable pages. 

----
If you've found one of my answers useful, please give "Kudos" or "Accept as Solution" as appropriate. Thanks!

https://www.martinabags.com.co, I have one possibility about that, I haven't configured Pound and Varnish well, because it doesn't shows me the "X-" head tag, so, I think that's one possibilty, and I am using the most expensive plan of Contabo to support the website, thanks.

From having a quick look at the home page:

2.5mb total page weight is a little large. There's one image which is 1.2mb alone, so it would be wise to optimise this image in advance to uploading to admin https://www.martinabags.com.co/pub/media/wysiwyg/peng.png. 

1.2s time to first byte for the document suggests there's room for optimisation on the server side to a) speed up uncached pages b) use Full page cache for repeat viewes. 

You have browser caching (Expire headers) configured for images but most of them are only set to cache for 4 hours. This should be set for far future.

You could reduce the number of JS requests made by enabling bundling (http://inchoo.net/magento-2/javascript-bundling-magento-2/) 

It will only have a small effect but enabling gzip compression for HTML on your webserver would be a good step forward too.

----
If you've found one of my answers useful, please give "Kudos" or "Accept as Solution" as appropriate. Thanks!

There is a way you could help me to configure correctly Varnish and Pound for use it to SSL? thanks

Sorry, I'm not taking on small development projects right now. 

----

Hi,

here is what I would do with a slow Magento site:

1. Perform 3rd-party extension audit. Disable custom extensions one by one and benchmark speed. Every time I hear my-magento2-is-slow there is always a third party extension involved.

2. Maybe there is a problem with your hosting. To find out do this simple test: install a fresh copy of Magento on the same server (the same version) and benchmark against your site. If the fresh copy significantly faster that your hosting is alright. If the fresh copy is as slow as your live site then something is wrong with your server. Contact your hosting team and let them know.

3. Now Magento has this thing called profiler. Fire it up and see what is going on behind the scenes. 

You just need to optimize your website with the help of Website Speedy Tool. It's helped me to enhance my website's speed from 15 to 80 in mobile and 35 to 96 in desktop performance, resulting in a better user experience for my customers and ultimately increasing my business revenue. You can used it too for better Website Speed.

You can get the tool here:- https://websitespeedy.com/

Try different things:

- tideways - that's a code profiler with a two weeks trial (free) period. It will tell you what code block is slowing down the website

- Are you running with php-fpm? Try switching to static distribution with as many workers as you could afford, usually 1 worker per cpu core. It could help in some cases

- From my experience, a poorly coded 3rd-party extension could be a reason why Magento 2 site is slow. Do a plugin audit. Turn them all off and see if it makes any difference. If it does, turn then on one by one and see which one ruins the site speed. 

- Are you running a custom theme? Switch to a default luma theme and see if it makes any difference. If it does your theme is a problem and you should dive deeper into it.

I wrote a whole article on how to speed up Magento 2 websites - check it out.