cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modifying RWD's theme Footer links while maintaning upgratability using local.xml files

Modifying RWD's theme Footer links while maintaning upgratability using local.xml files

1. What is the benefit in updating the RWD footer links using the metod below which involves creating a local.xml file where the changes are made. Is this local.xml just for ease of use to keep from modifying the primary file directly ( in this example page.xml ) ( Is this local.xml method better than what this guy is doing modyfing the theme file directly http://www.conortomkins.co.uk/magento-basics-change-default-footer-links ? )

2. In the example below I don't see where in the local.xml file I cannot a see a reference to the page.xml file ? How does the code inside local.xml knows it refers to the page.xml file ( considering there are other files in the directory ).

3.  Is this local.xml method new in the RWD theme ? I remember in previous versions of Magento, when we modifed the Modern theme we used to make dupplicates of the files we had to edit.

Sample Update method using a local.xml. ( taken from http://magento.stackexchange.com/questions/22067/changing-the-footer-in-magento-theme/22075#22075 )

10 down vote accepted

Check out app/design/frontend/rwd/default/layout/page.xml, do a find for "footer" and you'll get right to the Footer blocks. The "Quick Links" are actually set under various spots in System > Configuration.

Here's what I'd suggest:

Make local.xml (in the same folder as page.xml above) if you haven't yet, and remove the "Quick Links" and "My Account" blocks if you don't plan to use them.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<layout version="0.1.0">
    <default>
        <reference name="footer">
            <remove name="footer_links"/>
            <remove name="footer_links2"/>
        </reference>
    </default>
</layout>
------ Sig -----
Zertix button mapper
1 REPLY 1

Re: Modifying RWD's theme Footer links while maintaning upgratability using local.xml files

Hello Fixxi,

As you have referenced my post, its my responsibility to step forward and justify my advice.

It has been a LONG time since I have seen anyone change the footer links via local.XML

The method I use is much easier to implement and if you apply these changes to RWD/YOUR THEME you shouldn't have any issues with future updates.

Basically the process for changing the footer links in this way is outlined by Madison Island in the code.

Question 2, Someone else can answer as I don't feel using your local.XML is the best way to apply your required changes.

Excluding blocks via a themes local.XML has been used for a while now. I can remember doing this in 1.7 & this technique does still have great use, but I wouldn't suggest it for what you need.

Freelance Web Developer - Graphic Designer - SEO Analyst
Conor Rhys Tomkins