cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to upgrade/transfer data from 1.5.1 to 2.0.5

Best way to upgrade/transfer data from 1.5.1 to 2.0.5

Morning!

I have Magento 1.5.1 running without any issues only that it is a bit sluggish from time to time. But because of all the emphasize on mobile (responsive) webpages (especially by Google) I am considering to upgrade to the latest version of Magento 2.0.5

I know that many has changed in the meantime but I am looking at the easiest and cost effective way to upgrade.

My idea was to start with a totally clean install of 2.0.5 an start also with a fresh design (probably buy a responsive template and adjust this)

But my big issue is with my old data from 1.5.1. as productdatabase, customers, orders, et cetera.

Could you please advise me (in laymans terms Smiley Happy what the best way is to get this data into the new install?

The migration assistant that Magento provides to upgrade only goes back to 1.6 and not 1.5.1

Many thanks for your help and advise!Smiley Happy

Kind regards

Douwe

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Best way to upgrade/transfer data from 1.5.1 to 2.0.5

You should consider this tool http://tinyurl.com/zeqk3ue to transfer data to version 2.0.5. This support migrate from all version of Magento including 1.5.1. It seems the easiest way to migrate I know. 

Hope it helpful!

A preferred path would be to first upgrade to the latest 1.9.x release before commencing with the migration to Magento 2 as outlined in the docs: http://devdocs.magento.com/guides/v2.0/migration/bk-migration-guide.html.

As you already found out, Magento 2 is a complete rewrite of the software so there will be no simple one-click upgrade. You have to re-do the template or get a new one, and manually migrate any 3. party extensions and custom code changes. For the database, Magento provides a data migration tool and there are also some paid extensions that will help you.

Sindre M, CEO & Founder
ProperHost.com - The Magento Hosting Experts

As far as I think, you can first upgrade from version 1.5 directly to version 1.9 and then go upgrade to 2.0.

Create a development copy of your store database in its entirety.

Create a dev folder and extract a fresh copy of version 1.9 (no modules or themes from your old 1.5 version, please - just the pure magento 1.9)

Copy over your media folder.

Edit your dev local.xml to point to your new dev db.

Launch the site in your browser and wait for the update script to finish (which could take a very long time)

Either repeat the same procedure for 1.9 to 2.0 upgrade or just use the migration assistant.

If you're still in the consideration stage, keep an open mind about re-platforming your store too. Check out this article for more insight: http://www.matridtech.net/blog/is-it-time-to-upgrade-or-re-platform-your-magento-store/

Better yet, just outsource the operation to an offshore Magento development firm. That too won't cost much.