cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento upgrade from 1.5 to 1.9

Magento upgrade from 1.5 to 1.9

Hi

Am planing to upgrade my website running on magento 1.5 to 1.9.1. What are the best methods to upgrade, can i upgrade magento using admin panel. 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Magento upgrade from 1.5 to 1.9

Hi,

Unless you are confident with Magento development I would not recommend undertaking the upgrade yourself since; unless you have a completely vanilla install (with no extensions and additional theming) you will almost certainly need to do some manual template / code adjustments if you were to proceed with the upgrade.

Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!
Magento Certified Developer Plus | www.iwebsolutions.co.uk | Magento Small Business Partner

Basically am a php programmer and i had some beasics in magento. And i just migrated  current site in my local and it's working fine on my local system. And i had a test server, so i will check everything on my test server and if everything is ok, then i will start on my live site.

Actually i want know what are steps taken to upgrade magento

Arif,

Magento themselves have an article on how to upgrade.. You can find it here. I would advise following that.

However; since you're going from an older version - You will need to pay particular attention to your theme files and more specifically any frontend forms in them since Magento introduced frontend form keys from the version 1.8.x release.

I would compare the base theme file with any locally overwritten theme file for differences.

Best of luck!

Magento Certified Developer Plus | www.iwebsolutions.co.uk | Magento Small Business Partner

When i try to update using magento connect got error message like 'Unsupported type'

Error magento

Arif,

Do you know what version of PHP is running on the server that you are trying to upgrade on?

Regards,

Andrew

Php version on my server is 5.5.11

The error you're seeing is usually (in general PHP terms) due to a newer version of PHP since the unpack function changed with PHP5.5.

Which exact version of 1.9 are you trying to upgrade too??

The reason I ask is there was an issue previously with PHP5.5 compatibility - and this was actually resolved in Magento 1.9.1.

Regards,

Andrew

Also,

Could you look in the {magento}/downloader/lib/Mage/Archive/Tar.php file and find a function similar too:

_getFormatParseHeader()

And tell me what code the function contains?

I am planing to upgrade magento 9.2,

I can't find a function '_getFormatParseHeader

But here is a function

protected function _parseHeader(&$pointer)
{
$firstLine = fread($pointer, 512);

if (strlen($firstLine)<512){
return false;
}

$fmt = self::FORMAT_PARSE_HEADER;
$header = unpack ($fmt, $firstLine);

$header['mode']=$header['mode']+0;
$header['uid']=octdec($header['uid']);
$header['gid']=octdec($header['gid']);
$header['size']=octdec($header['size']);
$header['mtime']=octdec($header['mtime']);
$header['checksum']=octdec($header['checksum']);

if ($header['type'] == "5") {
$header['size'] = 0;
}

$checksum = 0;
$firstLine = substr_replace($firstLine, ' ', 148, 8);
for ($i = 0; $i < 512; $i++) {
$checksum += ord(substr($firstLine, $i, 1));
}

$isUstar = 'ustar' == strtolower(substr($header['magic'], 0, 5));

$checksumOk = $header['checksum'] == $checksum;
if (isset($header['name']) && $checksumOk) {
if ($header['name'] == '././@LongLink' && $header['type'] == 'L') {
$realName = substr(fread($pointer, floor(($header['size'] + 512 - 1) / 512) * 512), 0, $header['size']);
$headerMain = $this->_parseHeader($pointer);
$headerMain['name'] = $realName;
return $headerMain;
} else {
if ($header['size']>0) {
$header['data'] = substr(fread($pointer, floor(($header['size'] + 512 - 1) / 512) * 512), 0, $header['size']);
} else {
$header['data'] = '';
}
return $header;
}
}
return false;
}