cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento agency versus in-house resource

Magento agency versus in-house resource

Hi,

I'm in Marketing and not a web developer. Our platform is Magento 2 and I'm wondering whether it is possible to use a combination of external Magento web development agency and in-house resources to ensure we maintain and develop our existing platform. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Magento agency versus in-house resource

If you can afford to hire a Magento developer directly, can find a good one available, and can utilize that person's talents full-time, that's a great way to go. Keep in mind that some devs specialize more in the frontend, and others in backend development. In some cases, one developer won't meet all of your long-term needs.

If you go to an agency, typically, you're going to be communicating with sales, account management, and project management team members more often than developers. You're going to be paying a higher hourly rate to cover all of that. Your requests are going to go into a queue along with the requests of other clients. However, you're not responsible paid leave, health insurance, or other benefits. When you have a bigger project, you can get more help, and when you don't, you can get less. This is much more like hiring an accounting firm or law firm - it's great when it doesn't make sense to have a full in-house team, or when that team needs extra assistance.

I know merchants that have an in-house developer to keep up with day-to-day tasks that need to happen quickly, like creating landing pages. At the same time, they have an agency for other work, like Magento upgrades and patches, creating custom extensions, etc. It's a nice hybrid model.

I know more merchants that don't budget for an in-house developer and simply rely on an agency. It's pretty common. Consider it the "one neck to choke" method. This is especially good for businesses that can't justify a full-time employee. For example, if you had a B2B site with 100 products, your site may not change very much from week to week or month to month. An agency may be the perfect resource.

Best of luck!

If you go to an agency, typically, you're going to be communicating with sales, account management, and project management team members more often than developers.

Agree that a lot of companies resort to an option where they have an in-house team and part-time remote developers. This is convenient if you don't have loads of tasks to provide a full capacity to the internal team. But even with occasional calls to remote developers can run into problems, such as cost overruns, missed deadlines, etc.

So it's better for companies to go to trusted agencies and consider a number of factors before hiring a remote developer. For example, you can avoid cost overruns by working with an experienced, flexible offshore or specialized software development company. Otherwise, you can hire remote developers with less experience at lower rates and spend more money due to errors, delays, and other problems that arise during the development process.

I recently read an interesting article on hiring remote developers https://jaydevs.com/how-to-hire-remote-developers/ , which describes in detail the problems and errors that everyone can encounter. Totally recommend)

Perhaps you are right. I am not that experienced, so I am not in the position to lecture you. But if you try this software development company and ask all your questions about the use of artificial intelligence, I think you will get what you want. To my understanding, you need to define what your main business is or will be about.