cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I am thinking of giving up on Magento

Why I am thinking of giving up on Magento

I come here as a Managing Director of a mixed B2B and B2C Business based in the UK.  The eagle eyed of you may have seen a post that I have just posted regarding pricing. It's a good example of the challenges we face.

I have no wish to denigrate the companies and individuals we have worked with, I only report my observations. In summary, the web is a fast moving environment so waiting weeks, sometime months for changes just doesn't work.  Receiving a bill for an amount that far exceeds the value of the work to our business. Being told on the one hand that Magento will allow us multimple URLs that ultimately reside in the one store, to be then told that the impact on our SEO will be such that it's not a good idea. Requesting a plug in that costs $79 but costs £500 to install... The list goes on.

Does this ring true with anyone here?  How have you taken control of your Magento installation and made it work for you.  Perhaps we have the wrong platform, perhaps the wrong partners, pehaps we have the wrong approach.

If anyone out there can offer advice, point me at posts that might help me understand how to improve our Magento web presence I would be pleased to hear it.  One day I may learn enough to reciprocate!

How did I get here?
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Why I am thinking of giving up on Magento

Hello @davidgathm37f6 

Sad to hear this, that you are facing challenges. Fact here is there is no system or no platform which you can say perfect. Every System have issues.

What is matter, how we customise to fulfil our requirement. How we handle the system. What exact system required configuration. That how system works. 

I am not sure what exact challenges you are facing. Cost for maintenance also depends how it is build and now a days many developers just build the system and don't follow the standards, event they don't suggest any optimizations, cache required what server configuration required so this is not platform problem.

Are you using Magento open source? or Commerce, if you are using commerce you can ask Magento support to check if you are facing challenges with native Magento. If you are facing challenges with Magento open source or it is native then share here your issues. If issues due to custom work then share what kind of challenges are there?  

Are you facing issues with performance, you can use new relic to monitor. 

Dont give up on platform until you know your root cause Smiley Happy

Manish Mittal
https://www.manishmittal.com/

Re: Why I am thinking of giving up on Magento

Manish, thank you for taking the time to reply.  I'm pretty certain that this is not a platform issue.  The problem is finding a one stop shop that understands how to integrate plug ins with due regard to upgrades, ensures best practice during design and deployment and is reactive to requests.  

Our proposed ERP provider is recommending Magento.  Does anyone know if there any vendors out there that provide a functioning, well thought through template to which we can add our content.  Sure we would need to work with a preset functionality but that would be better than what we currently have.

Thank you

How did I get here?