cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento2 installation stuck while installing sample-data

Magento2 installation stuck while installing sample-data

While installing magento2 1.0.0-beta with sample data of corresponding version the installation got stuck while installing the sample data. I tried both the web and cli version of the installation and they both got stuck while installing the sample data. I didn't see a way to troubleshoot such situations on the documentation site and I resorted to installation wthout any sample data and the installation went fine. I have never had a good experience trying to install the magento with it's sample data and this has kept me away from magento perhaps to my own detriment but I'll like to see a smooth installation path for magento with the sample-data.  This time I insisted and went with the no-data installation path. Do let me know if there a fool-proof way of arresting situations like this and easily see what the particulrar problem might be. Once I can see an error mesage then the problem is half solved for me.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Magento2 installation stuck while installing sample-data

Hi John,

I'd recommend giving Docker a try. I built pre-configured Docker images that are available at https://hub.docker.com/u/mageinferno/ --- and there is a corresponding how-to blog article at http://mageinferno.com/blog/magento-2-development-docker-os-x

These are tried and true, so you should have no issues installing, however you can still monitor the install process to see whats going on with the `docker logs CONTAINER_ID` command. The install process takes a while because of Composer, however it should definitely complete as long as you follow the install instructions. Magento 2 has a lot of dependencies, so Docker really helps out here so you don't have to worry about them. 

Mark 

Thanks for pointing me to the Docker image. From what I could gather from the documentation page the setup is based on Apache. I'm mostly familiar with and prefer to use an Nginx based setup. I will appreciate if you can also point me to an Nginx based Docker setup most preferably with the sample-data already installed.

John

Hi John,

I actually also prefer Nginx, just went with Apache first since most are familiar with it. PHP7 and Nginx images are coming down the wire soon.

As far as dev goes, it really shouldn't matter which web server is used -- it's a means to an end.

Mark

I was having similar issued when I first tried to install M2. These two things helped me - using the CLI:

- Installing the sample data takes a very long time. Especially the configuratble products - and even more so if you are using the free tier servers many of the cloud hosting providers offer. Are you sure that the install is really stuck? It took about an hour for me (I was using the smallest micro instance in AWS)

- You could try to increase the PHP allowed memory size. Change the memory_limit value in your php.ini file to something larger. You might want to change it back once the sample data is installed.

Yes, this can definitely also be the situation. I'd say M2 takes 2GB ram min, recommended 4GB min. This is why I like Docker so much, as it assumes the RAM from the host Smiley Happy

I wouldn't execute a M2 installation with sample data on a shared host because of time to complete (it's a bit impractical). You are better off installing locally and then deploying afterwards. If using Docker, something like Digital Ocean has great support for easily deploying containers.

Hi @johnbendi,

If you are facing issue with Installing sample data you can go through my one of article https://darshanbhavsar.wordpress.com/2015/01/31/how-to-install-sample-data-in-magento-2/.

Let me know if you have any query.

Thanks,

Darshan

-----
Darshan, Solution Consultant
Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!

First time dev with Magento, installing on laptop xampp to try it out. Yesterday after a few hours hung I stopped it. Dropped the database, purged files. Today fresh start hung at 76% "Module 'Magento_CustomerSampleData': installing data. Please oh please put a php memory setting check, and, split data sample installation. I feel that two days of my time has been wasted. Could easily have been avoided.