cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add flag to silence dot output from setup:static-content:deploy

0 Kudos

Add flag to silence dot output from setup:static-content:deploy

Feature request from erikhansen, posted on GitHub Mar 08, 2016

I'm using Capistrano to deploy Magento 2 to production and stage environments. As a part of the deployment process, I'm running the bin/magento setup:static-content:deploy command. However since Capistrano streams all output to screen, I see this:

capistrano

So I've resorted to passing in the -q flag to silence all output: bin/magento setup:static-content:deploy -q. However this doesn't allow me to see progress as each theme is compiled. I'd like to see a flag added like --no-progress that would result in output like this:

php -f bin/magento -- setup:static-content:deploy --no-progress
Requested languages: en_US
=== frontend -> Magento/blank -> en_US ===
=== frontend -> Magento/luma -> en_US ===
=== frontend -> Customvendor/customtheme -> en_US ===
12 Comments
apiuser

Comment from erikhansen, posted on GitHub Mar 08, 2016

@antonkril This feature request is a similar request to the one in issue #3038, so I'm pinging you so you're aware of it.

apiuser

Comment from hshar7, posted on GitHub Mar 08, 2016

Hi @erikhansen thanks for reporting this, how is this problem not because of Capistrano? Because if I run this command on my machine I get dots next to each other instead of each one on a new line. Also it is possible to do something like this (with the addition of new line character for you of course): ![Image] (http://i.imgur.com/EAmZ4Mz.png)

apiuser

Comment from vrann, posted on GitHub Mar 09, 2016

@erikhansen Thanks for the suggestions. As far as it relates primarily to Capistrano, would you mind to create a Pull Request with the needed changes?

apiuser

Comment from erikhansen, posted on GitHub Mar 09, 2016

@hshar7 Thanks for your suggestion of piping output through tr to remove the dots. I tried that and it doesn't work.

@vrann I could see this being useful for a broader audience than just Capistrano users. Unfortunately I don't have time to create a PR for it now. If you don't think this is likely to get added to the Magento 2 roadmap, then feel free to close this task.

apiuser

Comment from davidalger, posted on GitHub Apr 27, 2016

@erikhansen A workaround is to use stdbuf from core-utils to prevent the shell from buffering the output of tr as seen in the above tagged commit. This results in the dots being stripped, but the normal output passing through normally to the CLI as it is output.

Ideally, there would still be an option to create a more friendly output format for deployment tools such as capistrano, but this solves the problem for capistrano in the meantime.

apiuser

Comment from hostep, posted on GitHub May 18, 2016

This is a duplicate of https://github.com/magento/magento2/issues/2848 btw Smiley Happy

apiuser

Comment from piotrekkaminski, posted on GitHub Jun 20, 2016

--no-progress flag proposed in #2848 seems better name

This is low priority issue, if anyone can provide PR great but otherwise will not be done.

apiuser

Comment from erikhansen, posted on GitHub Jun 20, 2016

@piotrekkaminski If PR #4294 is merged, it will satisfy the objective of this task. Since PR #4294 is actively being discussed and only needs a little more work in order to be merged in, I am going to close this task in hopes that #4294 will be merged soon.

apiuser

Comment from hostep, posted on GitHub Jun 20, 2016

@erikhansen: care to explain how #4294 will help with silencing the progress output of the command? Because I don't see a flag for that? Maybe best to reopen this issue, so one day it might still get implemented.

apiuser

Comment from erikhansen, posted on GitHub Jun 20, 2016

@hostep You're correct. For some reason I was getting this issue confused with #3038. Re-opening this issue.

@piotrekkaminski I agree that a --no-progress flag would be better. Updating my issue description accordingly.