cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve error reporting for failed order placement (checkout)

Improve error reporting for failed order placement (checkout)

Feature request from leoquijano, posted on GitHub May 24, 2016

Hi,

I've been debugging some checkout issues. I noticed that several of them were fixed in Magento 2.0.7, so I went in to test our payment process using that version.

As I tested my integration with Autorize.NET DPM gateway, my checkout page froze in the "loading" stage. The order was successfully received and Authorize.NET debug log showed the information. However, something was happening after the response came back.

Sometimes I would get a window saying "Cannot place order". Sometimes it would just get stuck. However, at no point I would get more detailed information, as a developer, to what's going on.

I traced down the issue to the vendor/magento/module-authorizenet/Controller/Directpost/Payment/Place.php file (I'm using a Composer based install). The following method would be executed:

protected function placeCheckoutOrder()
{
    $result = new DataObject();
    $response = $this->getResponse();
    try {
        $this->cartManagement->placeOrder($this->_getCheckout()->getQuote()->getId());
        $result->setData('success', true);
        $this->eventManager->dispatch(
            'checkout_directpost_placeOrder',
            [
                'result' => $result,
                'action' => $this
            ]
        );
    } catch (\Exception $exception) {
        $result->setData('error', true);
        $result->setData('error_messages', __('Cannot place order.'));
    }
    if ($response instanceof Http) {
        $response->representJson($this->jsonHelper->jsonEncode($result));
    }
}

Since I got the error message 'Cannot place order' a couple of times, I entered some logging statements, and got this in my log:

2016-05-24T23:08:42+00:00 INFO (6): Error placing order: SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1062 Duplicate entry '000000010-1' for key 'SALES_ORDER_INCREMENT_ID_STORE_ID', query was: INSERT INTO `sales_order` (`state`, `status`, `protect_code`, `shipping_description`, `is_virtual`, `store_id`, `customer_id`, `base_discount_amount`, `base_grand_total`, `base_shipping_amount`, `base_shipping_tax_amount`, `base_subtotal`, `base_tax_amount`, `base_to_global_rate`, `base_to_order_rate`, `discount_amount`, `grand_total`, `shipping_amount`, `shipping_tax_amount`, `store_to_base_rate`, `store_to_order_rate`, `subtotal`, `tax_amount`, `total_qty_ordered`, `customer_is_guest`, `customer_note_notify`, `customer_group_id`, `quote_id`, `base_shipping_discount_amount`, `base_total_due`, `shipping_discount_amount`, `subtotal_incl_tax`, `total_due`, `weight`, `increment_id`, `base_currency_code`, `customer_email`, `customer_firstname`, `customer_lastname`, `customer_middlename`, `global_currency_code`, `order_currency_code`, `remote_ip`, `shipping_method`, `store_currency_code`, `store_name`, `total_item_count`, `discount_tax_compensation_amount`, `base_discount_tax_compensation_amount`, `shipping_discount_tax_compensation_amount`, `base_shipping_discount_tax_compensation_amnt`, `discount_tax_compensation_invoiced`, `base_discount_tax_compensation_invoiced`, `discount_tax_compensation_refunded`, `base_discount_tax_compensation_refunded`, `shipping_incl_tax`, `base_shipping_incl_tax`, `gift_message_id`) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)

So it is clearly an inconsistent database state. I deleted the contents from the sales_order table and the checkout now works fine.

However, it would be a good idea to provide feedback for developers when an order placement fails. Something like this:

protected function placeCheckoutOrder()
{
    $result = new DataObject();
    $response = $this->getResponse();
    try {
        $this->cartManagement->placeOrder($this->_getCheckout()->getQuote()->getId());
        $result->setData('success', true);
        $this->eventManager->dispatch(
            'checkout_directpost_placeOrder',
            [
                'result' => $result,
                'action' => $this
            ]
        );
    } catch (\Exception $exception) {
        $this->_logger->info("Error placing order: ".$exception->getMessage());
        $result->setData('error', true);
        $result->setData('error_messages', __('Cannot place order.'));
    }

if ($response instanceof Http) {
        $response->representJson($this->jsonHelper->jsonEncode($result));
    }
}

... where $this->_logger is an appropriately configured logger (via DI). This would provide something to the developer to work with, and prevent exception swallowing.

7 Comments
apiuser
Status changed to: Investigating

apiuser

Comment from leoquijano, posted on GitHub May 25, 2016

Here's an additional suggestion. It turns out I hadn't configured the default relay URL for Authorize.NET, so this code was failing silently (/vendor/magento/module-payment/view/frontend/web/transparent.js):

_postPaymentToGateway: function(data) {
    var tmpl;
    var iframeSelector = '[data-container="' + this.options.gateway + '-transparent-iframe"]';

tmpl = this.hiddenFormTmpl({
        data: {
            target: $(iframeSelector).attr('name'),
            action: this.options.cgiUrl,
            inputs: data
        }
    });
    $(tmpl).appendTo($(iframeSelector)).submit();
},

Is there any way to catch error messages when doing that submit() call? In my case it was "The Referrer or Relay Response URL is invalid." (error reference can be seen here). To reproduce, just use a Authorize.NET with no default relay response URL set, and try to have Magento submit a transaction with the x_relay_url parameter set.

This is a harder error to catch, I reckon. The first ones I mentioned are easier to improve.

apiuser

Comment from asemenenko, posted on GitHub May 25, 2016

Added to MAGETWO-53457

apiuser

Comment from hudson1985, posted on GitHub Jun 19, 2016

I am getting the message "Cannot Place Order" only when logged in as a registered user. I deleted the contents from the sales_order table and reindexed the database and cleared the cache. I am still getting the same error. Weird enough it goes through as a non registered user. Anyone have any suggestions?

apiuser

Comment from leoquijano, posted on GitHub Jun 19, 2016

Hi @hudson1985 . Check my original post. You can add manually this statement:

To the appropriate spot (described there). And test again.

My issue report is for an improvement. Your "Cannot Place Order" error may be related to something else entirely.

apiuser

Comment from hudson1985, posted on GitHub Jun 19, 2016

Thank you so much for replying so quickly. Is it possible to send me a link to the specific original post you are referring to in order to ensure I get it right. Also please let me know if you have a fee structure that we could pay to cure this in the event we can't cure it.

Hudson Copeland 256-483-2671

Hudson Copeland

Director, Software Solutions, e-Commerce Management

Distinctive Designs International Inc.

hcopeland@distdesigns.com dhoffmann@distdesigns.com

800-243-4787 x 127

Office: 256-332-7390 x 127

Mobile: 256-483-2671

Fax: 256-332-7890

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 11:12 PM, Leonardo Quijano <notifications@github.com

wrote:

Hi @hudson1985 https://github.com/hudson1985 . Check my original post. You can add manually this statement:

To the appropriate spot (described there). My issue report is for an improvement. Your "Cannot Place Order" may be related to something else entirely.

— You are receiving this because you were mentioned. Reply to this email directly, view it on GitHub https://github.com/magento/magento2/issues/4682#issuecomment-226978403, or mute the thread https://github.com/notifications/unsubscribe/ARJ1k-BeOpxQathpJbhes05niVd_lVxJks5qNMGVgaJpZM4ImBo6 .

apiuser

Comment from leoquijano, posted on GitHub Jun 19, 2016

The original post is right here in this issue #4682. This is the direct link:

https://github.com/magento/magento2/issues/4682#issue-156631769

I emailed you privately about your issue.