cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ability to change admin password from CLI

0 Kudos

ability to change admin password from CLI

Feature request from markoshust, posted on GitHub Oct 24, 2015

The ./bin/magento CLI tool contains the command admin:user:create. It would be very helpful to add another command admin:user:update, which would allow the user to update the admin password. This comes up a lot when taking over development for projects from other companies, and/or just needing a quick way to change the admin password to access the site.

The same directives should probably be used from admin:user:create.

9 Comments
apiuser
Status changed to: Investigating

apiuser

Comment from mazhalai, posted on GitHub Oct 26, 2015

Thank you @MarkShust for your suggestion. We have created task MAGETWO-44629 to work on this.

apiuser

Comment from degaray, posted on GitHub Nov 17, 2015

Is there a way to change the admin password while the CLI command is not done?

apiuser

Comment from mazhalai, posted on GitHub Nov 18, 2015

@degaray why would you want to change admin password before the CLI is done?

apiuser

Comment from degaray, posted on GitHub Nov 18, 2015

I lost my password, and I used a non existent email account. So I cannot retrieve or change my password.

apiuser

Comment from mazhalai, posted on GitHub Nov 18, 2015

@degaray Please refer to this doc it should help you to unlock the account, or just uninstall and start over.

apiuser

Comment from degaray, posted on GitHub Nov 18, 2015

hmm. Ok, but the problem is it is not locked. It is lost unfortunately. However what I did is create a different user. I guess I can wait until you guys create this.

apiuser

Comment from davidalger, posted on GitHub Nov 19, 2015

@degaray You should be able to change the password from the admin interface via the new admin user you created to use temporarily.

apiuser

Comment from magenx, posted on GitHub Jan 28, 2016

i guess reset password is much faster and easier to do.... no need to create new user, etc... could you please add this feature. something like OP proposed: bin/magento admin:user:update --admin-user="dave" --admin-password="admin123"