cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Magento post some information about the state of the Magento Forums?

SOLVED

Can Magento post some information about the state of the Magento Forums?

Where are the old forums or the archive? There was useful information available for the entire Magento Community.
Is Magento still open source? Is this forum temporary?

Radius Bike Shop | Lancaster, PA
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can Magento post some information about the state of the Magento Forums?

This is the new Magento forums. It's here to stay. And yes, Magento Community Edition is still open source. Smiley Happy

--

Richard

View solution in original post

My understanding is that the old forum had so much out-of-date, inaccurate information, it's gone for good. Basically - people were stumbling across it and finding threads from, say, v1.2, and trying to apply v1.2 'fixes' to v1.9 sites, with predictably poor results. 

IANAME (I Am Not A Magento Employee), but from everyone I've spoken with and how much effort went into these forums - no, these forums aren't temporary! Magento's been on the hunt for a better forum system for at least one or two years now, and their team put a LOT of effort into making these forums happen. So, these are the forums. The old forums are gone, and these are the forums we have now. 

As far as the open source question - yes! Magento 1 and Magento 2 are both released under the OSL (Open Software License) v3 - so they're permanently open source. Not only that, but Magento has moved to a public fork-and-pull open source-style contribution model for Magento 2 by posting the Magento 2 source on GitHub for all of us to contribute to: https://github.com/magento/magento2 - more info about that at http://bhmarks.com/blog/contributing-to-magento-2/ 

So, in my opinion, Magento is now more open source than it's ever been, and that's pretty exciting for the Magento community. 

--Joshua Warren - @JoshuaSWarren on Twitter
CEO, Creatuity

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

This is the new Magento forums. It's here to stay. And yes, Magento Community Edition is still open source. Smiley Happy

--

Richard

My understanding is that the old forum had so much out-of-date, inaccurate information, it's gone for good. Basically - people were stumbling across it and finding threads from, say, v1.2, and trying to apply v1.2 'fixes' to v1.9 sites, with predictably poor results. 

IANAME (I Am Not A Magento Employee), but from everyone I've spoken with and how much effort went into these forums - no, these forums aren't temporary! Magento's been on the hunt for a better forum system for at least one or two years now, and their team put a LOT of effort into making these forums happen. So, these are the forums. The old forums are gone, and these are the forums we have now. 

As far as the open source question - yes! Magento 1 and Magento 2 are both released under the OSL (Open Software License) v3 - so they're permanently open source. Not only that, but Magento has moved to a public fork-and-pull open source-style contribution model for Magento 2 by posting the Magento 2 source on GitHub for all of us to contribute to: https://github.com/magento/magento2 - more info about that at http://bhmarks.com/blog/contributing-to-magento-2/ 

So, in my opinion, Magento is now more open source than it's ever been, and that's pretty exciting for the Magento community. 

--Joshua Warren - @JoshuaSWarren on Twitter
CEO, Creatuity

Hi all, I moved the topic to the proper category. News and announcements will be locked for only Magento to post for now.

Thank you for the insight and reassurance. Looking forward to having a central resource, instead of scouring the web.

Radius Bike Shop | Lancaster, PA