cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you find the file location?

How do you find the file location?

How do you find the location of the source code for a webpage? Is it through the "inspect element" tool? Thank you very much.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How do you find the file location?

Go to System->Config

Choose your store view then click on Developer at the bottom and choose Debug

You can then choose template hints which will show you the templates being used.

Magento Moderator since 2009
Keep Calm and Clear Cache!

So I went to the admin panel under system->config under the heading debug, the only option is "profiler" I switched it from no to yes. Is that what you meant?

That's the one. 

Another way to do this which can be faster, if you're using a Mac, is to inspect source (eg. using Firebug in Firefox), find a unique bit of code (eg. some front-facing text, or a series of class names) and pop them into the Mac finder window, where you're in your local repo source. If you put a " in front of the text you should see the file where the text is, with a handy file-path breadcrumb set at the bottom of the window.

Hello Nothon,

For example, I go to http://millennialmedical.com/shop, I use the "inspect element" tool, you can see some thing like this:

You can see skin/frontend/default/ma_elecstore/

+default is your current package

+ma_elecstore is your current template.

Login into Magento Admin, System > Configuration > GENERAL > Design, you can see your website configuration:

Now, we can predict your current package, we can go to local source and find current package and template:

You also want to know how I know exactly your template files? You should read more here: http://info2.magento.com/rs/magentoenterprise/images/magentodesignguide.pdf

Hope this information is useful for you.

Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!