cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending the Shipping Matrix (Courier Rules)

Extending the Shipping Matrix (Courier Rules)

Hello,

We have a third party that's attempting to integrate and automate our business (in the sense of order and inventory management).

We use multiple couriers, with very specific rules depending on weight / price / length and so on dictating exactly which courier orders get assigned to.

This third party company is now telling us that they cannot implement some details of our courier rules because of limitations of what they call the "Shipping Matrix", but as I understand it - Magento is flexible enough that an extention can be easily created to account for these limitations.

The question I'm trying to ask, is, is this true? Can this "Shipping Matrix" be extended further than it's default functionality or are they correct in saying it's simply impossible?

What I'm worried about is that this company is just trying to save themselves the effort of full integration, or maybe they're simply not competent enough to handle our business. If worst comes to worst we will develop our own solution using Magento and custom made extentions, but that decision hinges on this very question.

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. I'm new to the forums and this is my first post so please let me know if I'm breaking any rules / posting in the wrong place or whatever

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Extending the Shipping Matrix (Courier Rules)

@ElixirMatt

Can you please specify what exactly your issue is?

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
175+ Professional Extensions for M1 & M2
Need a developer?Just visit Contact Us Now

@theMageComp

Specifically, they tell me they have the two following problems:

• One of our couriers, Yodel, requires more than one label to be generated if the weight of the order is greater than 32Kg. The third party tells us this is not possible.
  • With another of our couriers, MyHermes, we have specific pricing on our account and (for reasons that are beyond the scope of this post to go into) they require us to have 15KG set on the consignment so that our tariff is correct. The third party tells us that this is also not possible.

Can you (or someone else) confirm if what they are saying is true?

@theMageComp

Just to clarify that second bullet point, MyHermes requires to have the weight set at 15Kg regardless of the actual weight of the order.

@ElixirMatt

So in this case, if the actual order weight is 12kg, you must set this 15kg right?

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
175+ Professional Extensions for M1 & M2
Need a developer?Just visit Contact Us Now

@theMageComp

Yes that's correct.

I did a bit of research and I believe the "Shipping Matrix" refers to this extension, or perhaps another from that same company. Seeing as it's paid for, I'm guessing that might be the reason they cannot extend it.

In light of this, I think the question I should be asking is if it is permitted (or even possible) to extend paid-for extentions?