cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply coupon to a product when in one category, but not another cateogory

SOLVED

Apply coupon to a product when in one category, but not another cateogory

I have a product that I want to apply a 20% discount to when it appears in a hidden category. However, I do not want the discount to be visible when the product appears in other categories. 

Does anyone know how to do this? 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Apply coupon to a product when in one category, but not another cateogory

Hi @GalenBroido,

Just for clarification, you are looking for a "Secret Sale" style functionality where customers with access to this hidden category can see the discount and purchase it at a discounted rate, but the customers that find it in the normal category structure just see the normal pricing?

Without custom development or a module that can do this functionality, this is a little tricky to achieve as far as I know. 

Is it possible for you to base the discount on the customer rather than the category?

For the customers that you are going to send the hidden category to, change their customer group to a "Secret Sale" customer and then you can use a Catalog Price Rule to show the product as a different price for that group. 

This would mean they would see this product at the discounted rate wherever they find it on the store, so may not achieve what you want. 

Other than that, you could create a Shopping Cart Price Rule with a dedicated coupon code and then only show that code (perhaps in a banner) on the hidden category page. So, the only way they will know about the discount code is through seeing it on the hidden category page. 

Let me know if any of this help or feel free to send over some more information to discuss Smiley Happy 

Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!
Follow me on twitter:@RebeccaBrocton | wearejh.com

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @GalenBroido,

Just for clarification, you are looking for a "Secret Sale" style functionality where customers with access to this hidden category can see the discount and purchase it at a discounted rate, but the customers that find it in the normal category structure just see the normal pricing?

Without custom development or a module that can do this functionality, this is a little tricky to achieve as far as I know. 

Is it possible for you to base the discount on the customer rather than the category?

For the customers that you are going to send the hidden category to, change their customer group to a "Secret Sale" customer and then you can use a Catalog Price Rule to show the product as a different price for that group. 

This would mean they would see this product at the discounted rate wherever they find it on the store, so may not achieve what you want. 

Other than that, you could create a Shopping Cart Price Rule with a dedicated coupon code and then only show that code (perhaps in a banner) on the hidden category page. So, the only way they will know about the discount code is through seeing it on the hidden category page. 

Let me know if any of this help or feel free to send over some more information to discuss Smiley Happy 

@RebeccaBrocton Thank you for the help! 

To clarify your first question, yes! I would like to set up a sale "where customers with access to this hidden category can see the discount and purchase it at a discounted rate, but the customers that find it in the normal category structure just see the normal pricing."

Your suggestions answer my question perfectly. Thank you very much!

Hey, @GalenBroido that's great to hear! Really glad I could help Smiley Happy