cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Magento help create minimum order quantity for a specific category?

Can Magento help create minimum order quantity for a specific category?

Hi there,

I have a category with special products which have high delivery cost, so I want to set a limit for customers when they make orders. I want to make sure that they buy a required minimum number of order so that it is worth shipping. Can Magento do it?

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Can Magento help create minimum order quantity for a specific category?

Hi @Lucy_11,

You can set the Minimum & Maximum Qty Allowed in Shopping Cart on each individual product.

In Catalog > Manage Products > *Click the product* > Inventory 

screenshot2016-07-11 14-21-28.png

To set that they buy a required minimum:  Minimum Qty Allowed in Shopping Cart

To limit how many they can buy: Maximum Qty Allowed in Shopping Cart

Or you can set the minimum order amount globally under System > Configuration > SALES > Sales > Minimum Order Amount

screenshot 2016-07-11 14-25-07.png

Does this help?

Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!
Follow me on twitter:@RebeccaBrocton | wearejh.com

Hi @RebeccaBrocton,

Thanks for your help. But I want to set up minimum quantity for some specific categories. If setting up minimum quantity for each product, I must do this many times. If setting in global scope, I can't remove categories I don't want to apply minimum quantity rule, right? Is there any solution to set up minimum quantity per category?

Thanks so much!

How do you plan to solve the issue with product being in several categories, and only some of them have restriction? How do you determine which categories? What about grouped products? What about configured products? What about bundles? There're tons of special conditions to be covered. I'm 100% sure that it's easier to use proven Magento approach (it's usually how it is for a reason).

You could however check out how bulk/mass changes work. Perhaps you can use this Magento standard feature to update parameters of multiple products at once and save time this way?

Tanel Raja

Hi @Lucy_11, for your question, I suggest using Limit Order Quantity Per Category extension. It fits all your need with these features:

• Set minimum and maximum order quantity of all products in a category
  • Limit order quantity per category for each customer groups
  • Show product category in shopping cart
  • Apply min/max quantity rules of all categories for product belongs to multiple categories

Besides, you can check out MAGENTO 2 VERSION with the same functions. Hope we can help you!

Highly recommend the module introduced by @emmanguyen

It helps restrict the minimum and maximum order quantity for category in an easy way.

Indeed a helpful tool for limiting order!