cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification of Magento offerings please!

SOLVED

Clarification of Magento offerings please!

I'd greatly appreciate if someone could summarize, in plain english words (ie: not including "omnichannel" and "solution"), what exactly magento.com is offering. I understand that there are three main products potentially of interest to me: Enterprise Cloud Edition, Magento Enterprise Edition, and Community Edition.

-- Which of these are software that we would need to obtain, install and manage ourselves, versus which are hosted and managed by Magento?

-- What is the pricing? (Or at least, where is that listed?)

Thanks,  Graham

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Clarification of Magento offerings please!

Hi Graham,

Magento Enterprise Cloud Edition - this is Magento software which will be hosted and supported by Magento. you will need to call Magento sales about pricing (expect $1200-1700/mo)

Magento Enterprise Edition - this is Magento software which will be supported by Magento but you need to arrange your own hosting (expect $15,000-20,000/year for the license, support from Magento and enterprise only features)

Magento Community Edition - this is a free edition of Magento for which you need to arrange your own hosting and support.

If you call Magento sales, they will explain the difference and will not push Enterprise edition on you if it does not fit your budget. Not all the businesses can allocate $20k per year just for the license and they understand it and will recommend to start with Magento Community and upgrade to Enterprise or Enterprise Cloud as your business grows.

Most of our clients are happily running on Magento Community and only a few use Enterprise Edition. 

hope this helps.

Anton Pachkine @ magento2.hosting : Magento Small Business Package.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Graham,

Magento Enterprise Cloud Edition - this is Magento software which will be hosted and supported by Magento. you will need to call Magento sales about pricing (expect $1200-1700/mo)

Magento Enterprise Edition - this is Magento software which will be supported by Magento but you need to arrange your own hosting (expect $15,000-20,000/year for the license, support from Magento and enterprise only features)

Magento Community Edition - this is a free edition of Magento for which you need to arrange your own hosting and support.

If you call Magento sales, they will explain the difference and will not push Enterprise edition on you if it does not fit your budget. Not all the businesses can allocate $20k per year just for the license and they understand it and will recommend to start with Magento Community and upgrade to Enterprise or Enterprise Cloud as your business grows.

Most of our clients are happily running on Magento Community and only a few use Enterprise Edition. 

hope this helps.

Thank you Anton for a clear answer, much appreciated.

As a followup: If Magento Enterprise hosted oneself costs more than Magento Enterprise Cloud hosted by Magento, what is the attraction of  self-hosting Magento Enterprise?

Graham

Graham,

I think Magento Enterprise Cloud to cost you more per year because price consists of Magento Enterprise license cost plus hosting cost but this is something new Magento just started offering so I may be wrong. It's possible Cloud will cost less because they expect much more payments during the lifetime of that account while you do not have to continue paying for the license for self-hosted Magento Enterprise after one year. The best way is to call Magento Sales about this.