cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to warn a customer that they have a duplicate item in their cart

SOLVED

How to warn a customer that they have a duplicate item in their cart

Hello,

We are currently looking at switching to Magento Community for a small download only store.

Currently, we have items for sale in a study pack and some of these items can be purchased separately for those who do not want/need the complete pack.

However, occasionally customers purchase the pack and also separate items that are already included in the pack which leads to extra processing and refunds.  Other than writing in the product description that said items are in a pack, is there a way whereby Magento could help.

For example, a customer adds a study pack to their cart which includes two books and a the pocket guide.  They also add the pocket guide to their cart.  At this point we would like a warning to say the pocket guide is already included in the study pack.  Being new to Magento, I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if this will need some extra development or extension.

Thank you and best regards
Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to warn a customer that they have a duplicate item in their cart

Hi @Jedith

For this you need to develop an extension that can help you fulfil your requirements with magento event observer.

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
175+ Professional Extensions for M1 & M2
Need a developer?Just visit Contact Us Now

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi,

I haven't tested this so not sure how everything will be communicated to the user during the add to basket experience.. but when adding a product under the Inventory Tab.. there is a 'Maximum Qty' allowed in shopping cart... - you could try setting this to 1 and seeing what it does?

Obviously this means the students couldn't buy 2 books if they actually wanted too in-that case... if that is a problem you'll likely need to do some custom code.

Depending on where you want to warn them (e.g. during add to basket; or on the cart view page) how you code it will change but there are observers for both instances that you could hook into.

Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!
Magento Certified Developer Plus | www.iwebsolutions.co.uk | Magento Small Business Partner

Thank you very much for reply.  I'll check out the inventory tab.

Best regards

Brian

Hi @Jedith

For this you need to develop an extension that can help you fulfil your requirements with magento event observer.

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
175+ Professional Extensions for M1 & M2
Need a developer?Just visit Contact Us Now

Thank you for your assistance.