cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Magento 1 CE becoming discontinued?

Is Magento 1 CE becoming discontinued?

Im a current Shopify user, and we are considering going with Magento as our next platform. But as the more research I do it seems now that they are bought out by Adobe, ...things are changing.

I did read about non-support as of June 2020 for Magento 1, or something of the sorts.

So as a person considering going with Magento within the next 6 months, what exactly are my options? I don't want to jump into a platform that is slowly dying out (non-support) so in the near future will there only be just 1 Magento platform available and no other choices? Will there only be ECE (cloud) 2.0?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Is Magento 1 CE becoming discontinued?

Hi Bryan,

It's a great question. In 2015, well before the acquisition of Magento by Adobe, Magento 2 was released. (Magento 1 started in 2008). Magento has continued to put out security patches and such for Magento 1, but it will reach its end of life in June of 2020. Anyone building a site now should be doing so on Magento 2. 

Magento 2 is as popular and mainstream an option as you'll find in the eCommerce world. Like Magento 1 it comes in two versions: (1) Magento Open Source [formerly known as Magento Community Edition or CE], which is free, and (2) Magento Commerce [formerly known as Magento Enterprise Edition or EE], which has an annual license fee. 

They're currently up to Magento 2.3.0, although 2.3.1 is expected to release later this month.

Since the acquisition by Adobe, Magento has continued to promote the open source community. Over 50% of Magento's core coding is now being written by the community. With that in mind, there's every expectation that Magento will continue to publish Magento 2 as open source software for many years to come. 

Best of luck, and if you have more questions, I'd be happy to help!

@bryan_kornaker 

In simple word to answer your question Adobe acquiring Magento does not change much for the end user. Magento currently has 2 version which are Magento 1 and Magento 2. Magento 1 was built years ago with technology stack available years ago. Many of which are deprecated, dying or not supported anymore.

Magento came up with newer version of their software as Magento 2 which uses the current technology stack as well as the architecture to support new technologies in future. Magento will stop supporting Magento 1 in mid 2020.

Magento 2 is available in 2 version FREE (Open Source) and PAID (Magento Commerce). In coming months if you want to use FREE version you can use it anytime and Magento will be supporting it to Many years to come.

Problem solved? Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

- Tarandeep
Problem solved?Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

Well, coming start to your subject line. Is Magento 1 CE becoming discontinued?
Yes! May, 2020 there will be a sunset for Magento 1 which means no support and no security patches.

That's the reason a bunch of online merchants are migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2. As far as, performance, security and latest updates are concerns Magento 2 is the great choice to go as compared with other ecommerce platforms. 

Developers need a free hand to play with the code, where, Magento 2 is the platform to go. Here comes the other YES: ECE-tools available with Magento 2. Refer this link to read more: https://devdocs.magento.com/guides/v2.3/cloud/reference/ece-tools-reference.html

Opting Magento 2 is an AWESOME choice! Do prefer managed cloud hosting for your upcoming Magento 2 projects. I hope, I have given enough rationals to your queries. 

Best of Luck! Feel free to contact me for more queries.