cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Listing certain configurations of a configurable product (Magento 2.1)?

Listing certain configurations of a configurable product (Magento 2.1)?

I want to list certain configurations of a configurable product on my Magento 2.1 Shop.

Let's say I have a configurable product called T-Shirt. The size and color of my T-Shirt is configurable. On my shop there now is a product called T-Shirt, and when you click on it you can configure size, color and so on.

All well, but now I want to list the colors of my product individually.

I know I could split my configurable product into more products like T-Shirt Red, T-Shirt Green, T-Shirt Blue and so on.

I also know I could change the visibility of my Simple Products created from my configurable product to "Catalog Search". But I still want to configure my product regarding color and size when I click on them and view them (just like it was with one single configurable product).

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Listing certain configurations of a configurable product (Magento 2.1)?

Hi @mschrom,

As you figured out you can do all the things you've described.

I'm not sure if I'm being able to see what will be the benefit from what you've asked for. If you use the configurable, teh customer will be able to buy the (simple) product.

If you prefer to show more products, maybe you can use the 1 product per variation approach.

What you've asked is to change the product according with the selection, right?

Hi Damian, thanks for your reply.

Not quite.. I'll try to explain my question again:

I still want a configurable product (configure size / color or other attributes), but I also want to list all colors of the product on my shop.

So let's say I have a product called Hoodie, and you can configure it's size and color. Normally, on my shop there would now be one product listed, called Hoodie. The customer clicks on it and configures the product how he likes it.

But I'd like to list all colors of my product "Hoodie" on my Shop, so let's say I have a red, green and brown version, I'd like my shop to list the following products:

• Red Hoodie
  • Green Hoodie
  • Brown Hoodie

If a customer now clicks on one of these products, he should be directed to the configurable product, where the right color (red, green or brown) is selected.

So let's say a customer clicks on Brown Hoodie, he should still be able to configure the color to other values like Green or Red if he wants to. 

Hi @mschrom,

Now I understand the whole idea.

That's not a default behavior on Magento but I can imagine (mostly) how to do that.

Basically you should be able to check on which parent product is the simple product related and then change the link to the configurable product.

I guess it won't possible to associate 1 simple product to more than 1 configurable.

If that is right I guess you could be able to get the result you're looking for (but you'll need some code customization). Also, you should check the performance becasue you will add more queries to database to get the relation between simple and configurables products.