cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento CE - Tax Rule based upon several required Product Classes

Magento CE - Tax Rule based upon several required Product Classes

I am new to Magento and trying to setup Tax Rules based upon certain product combinations in the basket.

There are three possible tax valuations that I am trying to apply:

STANDARD which is 20% and applied to all "default" users and products.

ZERO which is 0% applied to products with the "Assistive" class and applies only to "Registered" users.

COMPOSITE which is 4% and only applies when "Assistive" class products are chosen with "Hardware" class and "Installation" class products. 1 and 2 are standard tax rules and have been setup. What I am having difficulty working out is how to create a tax rule which requires more than one Product Class for it to apply.

Is this possible with the core Magento or would it require an additional extension?

Many thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Magento CE - Tax Rule based upon several required Product Classes

Unfortunately, this isn't possible in native Magento. You can make a tax rule that applies the same rate to more than one class but there is no way to make a rule that applies ONLY when a combination of classes is in the cart. You'll need to customize Magento or find an extension that supports this.

One possible workaround could be to create fixed-priced bundled products containing the product combinations and assign the bundles to your 4% tax class. However, this will really limit the ways in which the products can be combined and very well might not be suited to your catalog.

Director of Solutions @ Classy Llama
MCSS, MCFED, MCD & Certification Board Member

Re: Magento CE - Tax Rule based upon several required Product Classes

Thanks for your reply. I had a feeling this would be the case and I'm looking into extensions to find a solution. The bundled products approach would be too constrictive to the catalog I'm afraid.

Cheers anyway.