cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pricing Configurable Products

SOLVED

Pricing Configurable Products

I am a bit out of my element with our website and could use some expertise.  I suspect my problem is easily solved and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Essentially, I have a product that comes in poly, wire, or combo.  Additionally, our customers can select between a flat or convoluted offering and pick between a light, standard or heavy duty class.  I am able to enter the products and get everything organized the way that I want it (Magento makes it pretty easy), but am struggling with the pricing.  Each "offering" has a specific price point rather than a charge for an add (ie choosing wire over poly does not add a set rate, but rather a poly costs X while the wire costs Y).  I do not want the item to show up with a $0.00 price initially, but if I put a price in there and then select a different option, it adds the total cost of each item.  I am pretty certain I am overlooking a simple fix here, but could sure use come help in finding the switch!   

I am also a little leery about entering a SKU for the "base" offering as you do not order the congfigurable part, but rather the sku that corresponds to the options chosen.  How does that track on the invoice?  Magento is plugged directly into our Visual system and placed orders instantly so I want to be sure it is tracking properly (just in the test environment presently)

Thanks in advance for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Pricing Configurable Products

Do you use Magento 1.x or Magento 2.x? Since pricing conceit of configurable products is different in those versions.

In Magento 1 the price of associated simple products is ignored. Instead you set price for parent configurable products and price mark-ups (value or %) depending on the options are added as super attributes -

https://www.mag-manager.com/useful-articles/magento-attribute-management/what-are-magento-super-attr...

So for example, if a Shirt of size S costs $100,  M costs $110 of size L costs $115,  you can set cost of parent configurable products $100 and when add mark-ups to sizes M (+10) and L (+15).

In Magento 2 (if i'm not mistaken) you can set prices for associated simple products and at the front -end will be displayed the lower price, unless you select combination with higher cost.

Now, as for the SKU of parent configurable product. Basically, this item serves as a "holder" of combinations and itself is never purchased (inventory is tracked for associated simple products, not for parent "base").

Store Manager for Magento 1.x and 2.x - inventory management tool to automatically update products, customers, orders, and other data across multiple sales channels and suppliers.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Do you use Magento 1.x or Magento 2.x? Since pricing conceit of configurable products is different in those versions.

In Magento 1 the price of associated simple products is ignored. Instead you set price for parent configurable products and price mark-ups (value or %) depending on the options are added as super attributes -

https://www.mag-manager.com/useful-articles/magento-attribute-management/what-are-magento-super-attr...

So for example, if a Shirt of size S costs $100,  M costs $110 of size L costs $115,  you can set cost of parent configurable products $100 and when add mark-ups to sizes M (+10) and L (+15).

In Magento 2 (if i'm not mistaken) you can set prices for associated simple products and at the front -end will be displayed the lower price, unless you select combination with higher cost.

Now, as for the SKU of parent configurable product. Basically, this item serves as a "holder" of combinations and itself is never purchased (inventory is tracked for associated simple products, not for parent "base").

Store Manager for Magento 1.x and 2.x - inventory management tool to automatically update products, customers, orders, and other data across multiple sales channels and suppliers.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  I am running version 1.9.

I will work my way through it, but is sounds as though I need to use the "base" or cheapest product (in this case poly) with a price of $0, and set the price on my configurable product at the poly price.  Then, put the price difference between the other configurable choices as "add-ons"    I will give that a go.  Again, well out of my area of expertise here, but appreciate the help.

Thanks again

test it

@JeremyElliott wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  I am running version 1.9.

I will work my way through it, but is sounds as though I need to use the "base" or cheapest product (in this case poly) with a price of $0, and set the price on my configurable product at the poly price.  Then, put the price difference between the other configurable choices as "add-ons"    I will give that a go.  Again, well out of my area of expertise here, but appreciate the help.

Thanks again