cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product views data point, all time

Product views data point, all time

I'm looking for a way to create a report that tells me how many times each product has been viewed on our website, all time. We have a massive product catalog with over 15k products, and I'm looking at ways to shrink it. Learning which products have little to no views over the past few years would be very important in deciding which products to remove. How would I go about getting this data point? 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Product views data point, all time

The best way would be to use something like Google Analytics. 

The reason is, your other reports don't filter out massive amounts of spiders and other bots.

The data without filtering those out is completely useless for your purpose.

Founder at https://agency418.com

Re: Product views data point, all time

To create a report showing how many times each product has been viewed on your website over all time, you can follow these steps:

1-Utilize Magento's Built-in Reports: Magento provides built-in reports that can give you insights into product views. You can find these reports by navigating to Reports > Marketing > Products in the Magento Admin Panel. From there, you can view reports such as "Products in Cart", "Products Ordered", and "Products Viewed".

2-Export Data from Magento Database: If you need more detailed information or want to analyze the data further, you can export the product view data directly from the Magento database. The report_viewed_product_index table stores information about product views, including the product ID and the number of views.

You can run a SQL query to retrieve this data. Here's an example query:

sql
SELECT product_id, COUNT(*) AS views FROM report_viewed_product_index GROUP BY product_id ORDER BY views DESC;

This query will give you a list of products sorted by the number of views they've received, with the most viewed products at the top.

3-Analyze and Interpret the Data: Once you have the data, you can analyze it to identify products with low or no views. You may want to set a threshold for what constitutes a "low" number of views based on your specific criteria and business goals. Products that fall below this threshold may be candidates for removal or further analysis.

4-Make Informed Decisions: Use the insights gained from the report to make informed decisions about which products to keep, remove, or promote. Consider factors such as profitability, popularity, seasonality, and inventory management when making these decisions.

By following these steps, you should be able to create a report that shows how many times each product has been viewed on your website over all time, helping you identify products with little to no views and make informed decisions about your product catalog.