cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short & Long description on same prod page, will same content trigger duplicate content with google?

SOLVED

Short & Long description on same prod page, will same content trigger duplicate content with google?

We have a long description that is an extended/expanded version of the short description on the same product page ( first 3/4 lines / paragraph same content). Will we be penalised by google for duplicate content for this? will i need to rewrite both so there is different content in both?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Short & Long description on same prod page, will same content trigger duplicate content with

Hey @jezjen

It is completely OK to display product descriptions the way you've described.

For duplicate content to occur there are must be at least 2 different URLs which fully or partially duplicate each other. In your case the content is found on a single page which cannot be considered as a duplicate description.

But you should still provide good user experience and don't show too much text multiple times on a page (first 3/4 lines is OK)

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
230+ professional extensions for M1 & M2 with free lifetime updates!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Short & Long description on same prod page, will same content trigger duplicate content with

Google is not aware how you're keeping your data, is it short or long description. It could penalize only for stealing content which you're going to use.

I guess that you're probably using short description with link "show more", which then displays long description. And that's okay, you should not be worried about that.

If this response was helpful to you, consider giving kudos to this post.
If this response solved your problem, click accept as solution to help others solve this issue

Hey @jezjen

It is completely OK to display product descriptions the way you've described.

For duplicate content to occur there are must be at least 2 different URLs which fully or partially duplicate each other. In your case the content is found on a single page which cannot be considered as a duplicate description.

But you should still provide good user experience and don't show too much text multiple times on a page (first 3/4 lines is OK)

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
230+ professional extensions for M1 & M2 with free lifetime updates!