cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Magento on an existing site. Can it be done?

Using Magento on an existing site. Can it be done?

High,  My name is Little Jim.

We do not want our shopping cart to design our site for us.  We already have a very well designed site.  All we need is the shopping cart itself.  Can Magento work with our existing site?

Thanks For any Help.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Using Magento on an existing site. Can it be done?

Hi Little Jim

Welcome to the community forums.

This community forums is a very good platform to ask the questions and try to help others.

You can also find related information on StackExchange and you can start diving into the http://devdocs.magento.com/

Coming back to your Question , well if you have existing site which is only used for CMS purpose then magento 2 also have advanced level cms capability so you can use only magento for both purpose cms and cart functionality ..

otherwise you can also do one thing on your existing site create a menu and that menu links gets redirect to magento 2 site for shopping , that is also helpful to you ..

Third and most complex thing is integration which you have asked due to two different framework incompatibility , direct Magento 's cart functionality 's integration with your existing system is quite complex or near to impossible. You need to integrate this using Magento 2 API schema , For each and every functionality magento2 have API , so you can use of those API into your existing system and integrate magento 's cart functionality in it. 

Hope it helps

if issue solved,Click Kudos & Accept as Solution

Hi @little_jim,

Magento is your store admin panel, but it has its own frontend design. However, most users change that design for a custom theme for obvious reasons. You can do that as well by choosing from a vast range of free and pad themes.

If you want the frontend to have a specific design (to share the same design your main website has), then you need to find a developers team that will create a custom theme for your Magento installation.

Aitoc is a group of distinguished web developers that have been building for Magento since 2009.
See our extensions for Magento 2.

Thanks for the feedback. 

I am really not sure what you are talking about. 

All we want is the shopping cart.  We do not want do redesign our site.

We have been in business for 20 years.  When we started in business you had a website and a shopping cart. Two completely different things.  Now for whatever reason shopping cart providers are forcing you to only use their web design templates.

Shopify has exactly what we are looking for but they charge 2% for each transaction.  How in the world they have customers who are willing to do that I do not know.

Does magento have this feature? Please just have a quick look.

https://www.shopify.com/lite

I'm not sure what you mean by "All we want is the shopping cart.  We do not want to redesign our site" and "Shopify has that".

You don't need to redesign your site, you need to redesign the shopping cart.

Magento shopping cart has its own design that you need to customize to fit your website design.

Aitoc is a group of distinguished web developers that have been building for Magento since 2009.
See our extensions for Magento 2.

All you would need to do is have a look at shopify lite and you would see what I mean.  The link was included in my previous post.

https://www.shopify.com/lite

@little_jim

I couldn't understand your question. Magento is an opensource platform that offers pre-designed interface to create eCommerce site. If you already have a site, then, why would you redesign it? Either you can migrate the site on Magento or get the shopping cart incorporate by the development team.

Did you ever get a good answer to this or find a suitable shopping cart plug-in? I want to do the exact same thing.

Thanks