cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento Data Models

SOLVED

Magento Data Models

Hello, 
I'm not sure where to post this, I'm new to Magento and coming at it from looking at the database.   I am a data engineer responsible for building reports on a clone of a Magento 2.4 mysql database.  I have been looking with very limited success for Magento database documentation that would be geared for my situation.  That is not a Magento developer but a data engineer needing to understand and document the data.   The EAV documentation was helpful and we have been able to create a reasonable dim_product.  And without documentation it has been an uphill slog to find and understand where data is stored each time we add a new subject area to our reporting. Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Magento Data Models

Since your question is about the Magento database rather than the MBI product, you may have better luck asking in one of the Magento-specific forums. A search led me to this thread (https://community.magento.com/t5/Magento-2-x-Programming/Magento-2-Database-ERD/m-p/15122) in the Magento 2.x Programming Questions forum. Even though that thread is about an ERD and maybe not exactly what you're looking for, that same forum could be the place to ask.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Since your question is about the Magento database rather than the MBI product, you may have better luck asking in one of the Magento-specific forums. A search led me to this thread (https://community.magento.com/t5/Magento-2-x-Programming/Magento-2-Database-ERD/m-p/15122) in the Magento 2.x Programming Questions forum. Even though that thread is about an ERD and maybe not exactly what you're looking for, that same forum could be the place to ask.

Hi @BerniePrus7ca8,

Understanding the Magento database structure, especially in the context of EAV (Entity-Attribute-Value) can indeed be a challenge, and the lack of comprehensive documentation for data engineers adds to the difficulty.

Here are some general pointers that might help you navigate the Magento 2 database:

• Magento Database Diagrams: While there might not be official documentation specifically for data engineers, you may find some community-generated diagrams that illustrate the Magento 2 database structure. These diagrams can provide a visual representation of the relationships between tables.
  • Magento Database Tables: Familiarize yourself with the core database tables that hold essential information:

catalog_product_entity: Holds basic product information.

eav_* tables: These tables store entity-attribute-value data. Examples include eav_attribute, catalog_product_entity_*, etc.
sales_* tables: Contain information related to sales orders, invoices, shipments, etc.
customer_* tables: Store customer-related information.
quote_* tables: Hold data related to the shopping cart.
  • Magento Entity Types: In Magento, various entities (products, customers, orders, etc.) have different types. Understanding these types can help you interpret data across multiple tables.
  • Magento Codebase: Although you mentioned that you are not a Magento developer, exploring parts of the codebase related to the data you're interested in might give you insights. For example, models, resource models, and repositories often interact with the database.
  • Third-Party Documentation and Articles: There might be community-contributed documentation or articles that explain the database structure for reporting purposes. Check forums, blogs, and Magento-related websites.
  • Magento Database Tools: Use database tools like MySQL Workbench or a similar tool to visualize the database schema. This can help you understand relationships and structures.
  • Magento Extension Documentation: If you have third-party extensions installed, their documentation might provide insights into additional database structures. You can find in this pdf:

http://info2.magento.com/rs/magentosoftware/images/magento-extension-developers-guide-v1.0.pdf

• Magento 2 Official Documentation: While not focused on the database, the official Magento 2 documentation can still be a valuable resource to understand concepts, data flows, and terminology.

You can find requirements of Magento in:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/commerce-operations/installation-guide/system-requirements.h... 

If the issue will be resolved, Click Kudos & Accept as a Solution.