cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product entity reference as a dropdown attribute value

Product entity reference as a dropdown attribute value

I am creating a large selection of accessory products. Each accessory is compatible with 1 or more other products that we sell. I would like to make a required attribute that shows other products that we sell as multi-select values. So when you are creating an accessory product you have to select which other products it works with.

Is there an extension that does this?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Product entity reference as a dropdown attribute value

You can use "Automatic Related Products" extension for your purpose.

URL :- http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/automatic-related-products-1.html

Hope this helps you.

Query solved? Accept as Solution.Thanks
Eric Baily

Hi, pyrojonc,

You may want to refer to Automatic Related Products 2 extension by aheadWorks.

It is not something that introduces say a column that would let you add related items from when creating a product.

However, you can completely automate the process of assigning related products with the help of flexible conditions available.

For example:

If you are using particular SKU title to identiry different types of accessories you can try using a part of the SKU with the help of condition such as:

- SKU contains part_of_the_SKU

If it is custom attributes you are using - the extension allows you applying conditions/condition combinations with any attributes available to identify both main item and related products.

Hope it helps.

Let me know if there are any questions.

unfortunately, I am not just looking to show that the products are related, but I need to use the layered navigation features that are only available with specific product attribute types. So what I need is a multi-select attribute, lets say I call it "compatible_with". Then when you are creating a new accessory product, I can select all the products that this accessory works with. As I have a lot of products and we are adding more constantly, I would like to have that multi-select field pre-populated with all the products available... or all the products available from a certain category, etc.