cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M2, V 2.2.2 how to install extension manually

SOLVED

M2, V 2.2.2 how to install extension manually

previous to magento 2.2.2  , i used to upload extension to app/code and then run command to install and upgrade magento 2. with the new M2. V 2.2.2 , app folder dose not contain code subfolder . so wondering , how would i go about installing extension. 

i seen some thread asking to just upload to the root installation and or some suggest to upload to the app folder directly . any suggestion or steps .. and why M2 got ride of the code subfolder. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: M2, V 2.2.2 how to install extension manually

Hi @tonysar,

You can create the code directory into app and then create or put your modules.

With Magento2, in general, the directory is not mandatory.

Modueles are palced into vendor (because the use of Composer) and probably you will install your 3rd-party modules using Composer (in one way or another).

Only if you need to create a custom module without composer support you will use the /app/code directory.

Is the same than Magento 1 with /app/code/local. The local pool isn't present and you can create it if you need it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @tonysar,

You can create the code directory into app and then create or put your modules.

With Magento2, in general, the directory is not mandatory.

Modueles are palced into vendor (because the use of Composer) and probably you will install your 3rd-party modules using Composer (in one way or another).

Only if you need to create a custom module without composer support you will use the /app/code directory.

Is the same than Magento 1 with /app/code/local. The local pool isn't present and you can create it if you need it.

Hi @Damian Culotta

Thank you for reply. 

This is a module was developed for me , still somewhat in beta testing. i always uploaded the content of the archive to /app/code folder and used magento CLI to upgrade the M2 .installation was / is very simple ..

would it be ok to follow the same process as i found in M2 doc, by just uploading the zip file in root and running M2 CLI to upgrade and install ?

what happens if i create the Code subfolder and during next M2 Update / Upgrade ? 

Magento Might remove the folder and I might end up with broken site .. 

Thanks 

My bad ... now i get it .. M2 will put the extension into different folder path .. thanks.