cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1.9.1.0 Image upload?

1.9.1.0 Image upload?

I have added products but when I try to upload images I get the following message:

Unable to create directory '/home/mystore/public_html/media/tmp/catalog/product'.

I checked the folder permissions and it is 777.

Can anyone advise on where I am going wrong please.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: 1.9.1.0 Image upload?

First thing to check would be your PHP version.

Make sure your hosting server is running the latest stable version of PHP, I've previously experienced folder write errors with outdated PHP versions.

Freelance Web Developer - Graphic Designer - SEO Analyst
Conor Rhys Tomkins

Hi,

I just had a look in cpanel, it is version 5.4.33.  Is that too out of date as the current version is 5.6.7?

Hello,

According to the Magento system requirements page (http://magento.com/resources/system-requirements) 5.4 is suitable to run Magento.

But i would ask your hosting provider to update you to the latest stable version just to rule this possibility out.

Conor Rhys Tomkins

Additional things to check.

Make sure that your permissions are set RECURSIVE to 777 for your Media and VAR folder. Setting these permissions recursive is extremely important and will not work without.

Rename your .htaccess that is in the media folder, attempt the upload (your htaccess may be causing issues with the upload)

If these fail it could well be to do with your PHP build. But we will explore this possibility later.

Conor Rhys Tomkins

To correct some misinformation, the PHP version itself has nothing to do with directory writing. 

As for the file permissions, it can be a little misleading as different servers have different requirements.

If the server is running SuPHP / SuExec, all files should be set to 644 and all directories to 755. Otherwise only some files should be set to 644/755 while others should be set to 666/777 as per Magento's official documentation. 

If you are not sure whether your server is running SuPHP / SuExec, it is better to confirm that with your hosting provider first and adjust the file permissions accordingly.