cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my stores have separate databases?

Can my stores have separate databases?

We want to utilize Magento's ability to handle multiple websites under one Magento install; in our case, we would have 2 websites under one install. Is it possible for each of these stores/sites to have their own SQL database? The reason for doing this would be to avoid mixing information and making the individual websites faster. I realize Magento doesn't support this out of the box, but is there a relatively foolproof workaround?

Thanks for your help!

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Can my stores have separate databases?

Well its okay if you dont have much products then to use multi website into single installtions.. Otherwise make two seperate magento for your multi websites.. Cheers Smiley Happy

-
Magento Programmer | Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.

Thanks, Grav M, but I'm exploring the feasibility of having one Magento installation that utilizes two databases (one database per store). We might have to use just one database or two Magento installations, but I first want to explore the possibility of one Magento install, 2 databases.

Thanks, though! Smiley Happy

@pitcherplant96

I don't think this is possible out of the box. Magento supports master/slave database configuration...

Database information comes from xml file: app/etc/local.xml This file is being loaded from app/Mage.php And you need to pur conditions to decide which configuration file you're going to load. Also you need to change  theoretically with lots of custom codes  since the stores are kept in the database.. 

Hope it helps you Smiley Happy

-
Magento Programmer | Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.

@GauravMehta04

Thanks for the info! I guess we'll use just one database then. Thank you for your help!

Hi For sure you may have multiple database , as per the mysql replication . Magento offer the master slave configuration and can be used as well as explained here 

http://marketplace.webkul.com/magento-with-mysql-master-slave-architecture/

i am trying to make 2 stores on my 1 install of magento.

I see that you have done that, can you please tell me how to do this?  Do you need 2 domain names?

If you can tell me or point me in the direction of install instructions that would be great.  I see the option in magento, but I am not sure what to do.

Thank you,

Steven

Hello Steven,

I ended up using the instructions here:

http://www.ecommercegorilla.com/how-to-set-up-multiple-store-fronts-with-magento/

There are two methods given here to set up the stores; I used the first one. The second one may be better, but I haven't looked too much into it. (I tried the second method, and when it didn't work right away I decided to try the first one rather than troubleshoot.).

My end goal is to create 2 different stores under 2 different domains... But I don't *think* you need 2 domains. You can use two subfolders in the root directory (what I'm using in the test environment), and I assume you could use two subdomains as well, if you don't want two different domains.

May God bless your efforts!

Thank you for your help, I will see which I can figure out.  I would like to use 2 different domain names, but it isn't worth it if it is too hard..

Steven

yes magento able to separate everything by store views/scope.

all you have to to is to use raid10 or ssd disk for database, and put it on separate server.

------------
MagenX - Magento and Server optimization