cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import/Export vs Data Flow

Import/Export vs Data Flow

What is the difference between Import/Export vs Data Flow Profiles? 

Using version: 1.9.1.1

Running Magento 1.9.1.1
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Import/Export vs Data Flow

Dataflow has columns mapping feature that allows you to have other names of columns in your CSV file and then just link them to appropriate database fields. There you can create different profiles to run import or export of data. But Dataflow is sometimes really slow.

Import/export its CSV format is not too intuitive and it might return you multiple errors if you are missing one of required by Magento columns(or they have other names) or encoding is different than UTF-8. I have written the article on required fields for import -

https://www.mag-manager.com/useful-articles/tipstricks/required-csv-file-values-for-error-free-magen...

Store Manager for Magento 1.x and 2.x - inventory management tool to automatically update products, customers, orders, and other data across multiple sales channels and suppliers.

Thank you for the prompt reply.  It's a great article.

Where can I find the columns available for import, with either of the methods?

Running Magento 1.9.1.1

Hello.

As I have mentioned above, with dataflow you can map columns of csv file to database fields and thus can have in file column 'product title' and map it to 'name' database field.

To get the better understanding I recommend you to export data to file with both of methods, see columns available, check format.

Good luck!

Store Manager for Magento 1.x and 2.x - inventory management tool to automatically update products, customers, orders, and other data across multiple sales channels and suppliers.

So I am having trouble importing via CSV. I get errors for each of the attribute codes setup by the developer that are identical to the attribute label and have one or more capital letters in them along with spaces between each word. All other attributes are in lower case and have an underscore between each word and the attribute labels have spaces and or capital letters so are not identical. 

Dan

Hello Dan!

Please, specify if you are using Magento 1.x or 2.x (since the list of required import fields differ depending on the version).

Make sure that your file is re-saved with UTF-8 encoding and that check your file delimiters (by default comma is used).

You can also try to create test product and assign attribute values that you want to import. Then export this product to CSV to have a sample of columns and data structure (as column names of your import file should have names that correspond to attribute codes, not attribute labels).

Thanks, Using Magento 1.9, files are saved in UTF-8 and are Comma delimited. When I look at the attributes with errors it is only the ones that are have identical attribute names and labels, use capital letters and have spaces between words without an underscore. Not sure if this is related.

Dan

• Copied and pasted is the error from the import.
  • Column names: "Item must be returned within", "Manufacturer Part Number", "", "Refund will be given as", "Restocking fee", "Return policy details", "Returns accepted" are invalid

Most likely your attribute names are not the same as attribute codes.

For example, take column Return policy details from your file and find this attribute on Attributes-> Manage Attributes section of your Magento admin. Your CSV column should be named exactly the same as specified in Attribute Code field.

Moreover, check what you have indicated as a value for this column in the file. For attributes of the definite types, the value in file should be one of indicated in Manage options section of Edit Attribute form.

Import Export is significantly speedier. It's not impeccable as its CSV arrange isn't excessively instinctive, it doesn't bolster all item sorts and the fare underpins even less capacities. Be that as it may, it's exceptionally dependable and speedier than all other import strategies. 

Data flow isn't usable, and that was the reason they included Import Export in Magento. The primary hindrance of Data flow is its low speed.