cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Magento on Ubuntu Virtualbox

Installing Magento on Ubuntu Virtualbox

Can someone help me with this? I download the Magento on download page but when I go to extract its not extracting the magento folder it just keeps extracting tar.gz over and over again and what I need to do to get this installed??

Web Developer/Marketing Expert
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Installing Magento on Ubuntu Virtualbox

tar -xzf tarfile.tar.gz

download the gz file from Magento, named something like this:

magento-1.9.1.0.tar-2015-03-23-05-09-56.gz

All the new stuff has a date/time string ingected between .tar and .gz now

upload it into the folder where you want to extract it, run the tar -xzf command against the full file name and it will extract to a subfolder magento/ in your current working directory.

tar command switches

-x => extract tar (tape archive) contents

-z => gunzip compressed content

-f => the following file name

Thanks, where is the htdocs/xampp directory folder located in Ubuntu?

I've always run Ubuntu as LAMP native, never have bothered with XAMPP as it was extra clutter.

Normally, web server doc root runs as /var/www/

How do I install LAMP?

Use the aptitude package manager to install Apache, MySQL, and PHP for both Apache DSO module and CLI.

Throw the Magento system requirements PHP script into HTTP doc root, run it and use the package manager to download the PHP mcrypt, curl and other modules it says are missing.

Untar Magento into doc root and run install process.

So Ubuntu has this great tool: taskel and that's your best friend.

If you don't have it installed it's simple:

sudo apt-get install tasksel

Once it's installed:

sudo tasksel, in the screen that will appear, simply use the arrow keys to scroll down to "LAMP server" hit the space bar and then the tab bar to get to "ok" hit and enter and see the Magic happening. Pay attention, during the process you'd need to set the MySQL password and then you are done.

For Magento simply this guy will be your best friend: http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/1_-_installation_and_configuration/installing_magento_via_shell_...

Hit me up if you run into any problems.

NOTE: I am assumming you have either SSH or direct access to Ubuntu in the Virtual Machine