cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi store, different base currencies, possibly same client base

Multi store, different base currencies, possibly same client base

Hi everyone

I'm a merchant and newbie to Magento.

We have products that are sold at different prices in different markets - that is, EUR price does not equal GBP price multiplied by current exchange rate. I've already discovered that, to do this, we need 2 websites and I have seen how to do this.

I want to automatically redirect visitors to the correct site using GeoIP (customer from Eurozone to EUR site and other customers to GBP site) and I know this is not a problem.

So, I could have a domain structure such as this

.com (GBP pricing)

.com/eu (EUR pricing)

and use GeoIP redirect.

However, I don't want to automatically block a visitor from the GBP site. A visitor may for the first time arrive at a product page on the GBP sitevia organic search or PPC. The next time they visit, they may expect to see prices in GBP. Also, if they create an account, I'd like them to be able to access that GBP account, especially since I wish to implement a loyalty scheme.

So, the question is one of domain structure. Would it be best to have the 2 sites under 2 different domains with no GeoIP redirect?

.co.uk (GBP prices)

.eu (EUR prices)

Although I prefer the single domain and sub-directory approach, I'm guessing that the solution to our problem is to have 2 domains and no GeoIP redirect (since you can't rely on Eurozone visitors to type in .com/eu even if you specify that this is the URL for EUR prices). The 2 different TLD approach is probably more preferable/easier to manage from an SEO point of view.

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Multi store, different base currencies, possibly same client base

Hi I am not sure whether this is already sorted. If not, please get in touch with me via kiran.revikumar@eglobeits.com, and we at eGlobe IT Solutions (P) Ltd (www.eglobeits.com) can help you with this.