cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Magento stopped working after MailChimp extension install failed.

My Magento stopped working after MailChimp extension install failed.

Hi Magento peers.

Yesterday, I attempted to install MailChimp using Magento Connect Manager.

The installed failed.  But what's worst is that I can't even open my Magento Admin panel, or any of my Magento.  I have a local install.  

I did a google search for a solution, and most of what i found instructed the user to remove anything from the Cache, ans Sesssion folders.  I did that, but I still get a 503 error when trying to run Magento. I have Magento Community 1.9. 

What can I do to get my Magento to work again?  

I really love Magento, and would hate to stop using it because of this hickup.

Thanks in advance for your help.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: My Magento stopped working after MailChimp extension install failed.

503 usually means that the install left behind a file called maintenance.flag in your Magento root directory.

Find it and remove it. Clear your cache in case any cron job manages to weirdly run and reload it. See if Magento will come up.

If it does, log in, clear cache again, log back out and then in again. This is necessary to make sure any admin panel menuing loads properly. Carry on with operations. Set up Mailchimp when you have your heartrate down and your breath back.

If you are still getting a 503, the next step is to disable the Mailchimp module.

Find the .xml file with Mailchimp in its name located in app/etc/modules/. Within that file will be a line <active>true</active>

Change true to false and save the file so the line looks like this <active>false</active>

Do the manual cache empty and see if the admin panel comes back. If it does, continue operations.

Find somebody who has experience with Mailchimp and see if they can recover the install to get it running

Hi,

I cannot find any .xml files with Mailchimp in the name in the Modules
directory.

I also don't see a maintenance.flag either.

This is the API I tried to install. Like I said I have Magento 1.9, and I
believe the MailChimp API was for Magento 2 (see below):

http://connect20.magentocommerce.com/community/Ebizmarts_MageMonkey

Below is the error I got in Magento Connect Manager:

CONNECT ERROR: Failed to open file C:/xampp/apps/magento/htdocs\downloa
der\.cache\community\Ebizmarts_MageMonkey-1.2.1\app/design/adminhtml/d
efault/default/template/ebizmarts/autoresponder/system/config/birthday
/fieldse

I do see these MageMonkey files (Ebizmarts_MageMonkey-1.2.1.tgz, and this folder Ebizmarts_MageMonkey-1.2.1 in the directory listed below.  Do I need to remove that file and folder?

C:\xampp\apps\magento\htdocs\downloader\.cache\community

The download link for the Magento 1.9.x.x version of  Ebizmarts MageMonkey is:

http://connect20.magentocommerce.com/community/Ebizmarts_MageMonkey

connect20 is the server for Magento Connect 2.0 as opposed to Connect 1.0, neither of which have to do with Magento 2.x, in fact there is no connect for Magento 2.x at the moment, it's all composer and github and developers, oh my...

You are getting the right version.

And you do not have in app/etc/modules, a file named something like Ebizmarts_MageMonkey.xml, correct?

If this was a Linux installation, I'd say that Magento Connect fired off all half-baked like it often does, changed some file permissions and sunk the site. As this is a WAMP server that doesn't enter the picture, so you will need to start looking for the web server logs and find out what is generating the 503 error. The presence of the .tgz file indicates that Connect downloaded it, the other directory indicates it was trying to extract the files for installation, upon which point it died because it couldn't read the files to move them.

You should be able to remove both the downloaded install archive Ebizmarts_MageMonkey-1.2.1.tgz and the directory

Personally, I would save the Ebizmarts_MageMonkey-1.2.1.tgz archive elsewhere, use 7-zip to extract the contents and manually install it. In fact, on the Magento Marketplace under their Q&A, the have a similar question to yours and their answer is exactly the above manual installation => https://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/ebizmarts-magemonkey-official-mailchimp-and-mandrill...

>Hello,

>When this kind or strange errors appear when installing we recommend to do a manual installation as explained in our wiki http://wiki.ebizmarts.com/magemonkey/installation#TOC-Manual-installation

>Remember to install every extension with compilation mode disabled, this is also explained in that page.

>Best Regards.

Also this might help => http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19752021/magento-connect-error-failed-to-open-file/26480769#26480...

That's correct, I do not have Ebizmarts_MageMonkey.xml in app/etc/modules.

Below is an image of what's currently in my modules folder:

Chiefair,

I found the following on a StackOverflow thread (it said to run it from a cmd prompt):

./mage uninstall community Ebizmartz_MageMonkey

I guess that will uninstall Ebizmartz_MageMonkey. Do you think doing that will bring my Magento website back to live?

Here is the URL where I found that solution.  

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20892230/magento-admin-blank-screen-after-installing-mailchimp-mo...

Thanks in advance for your help

Well...

Nothing worked. I was not able to restore my website to working condition.

I had to do a full reinstall.  

Thank you all very much for your suggestions and support.

We'll see how things go with my site. Smiley Very Happy