cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2

Cost to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2

Hi all, please excuse my naivete, I'm the digital marketing manager for bdsparts.com. We have roughly 50,000 SKUs on the site and are currently operating on Magento 1.9.3.7. I understand the importance to migrate to Magento 2 and that it is inevitable, however, I was not expecting the quote of 50k from my developer. Now he hasn't submitted a full proposal once he looks over all of our customizations and extensions to see if there are Magento 2 options but I'm interested to hear from others that have made the transition what your cost and time to deploy was? Is my developer giving me an accurate quote?

Thanks,

Albert

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Cost to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2

Hi there,

50k looks like a very approximate gestimation which probably has a big safety margin for your developer. 

Ask them to prepare an itemized proposal with all components which sum to the total:

- Initial data migration (50000 items, 170 categories): $$

- Final data migration (up to 200000 orders, 200000 customers): $$

- Custom design creation (or third party theme): $$

- Custom responsive design integration into M2 (or theme customization): $$

- Extension 1 license and installation: $$

- Extension 2 license and installation: $$

- Customization A re-implementation in M2: $$

- Customization B re-implementation in M2: $$

- Integration I re-implementation in M2: $$

- Integration II re-implementation in M2: $$

When we do a proposal this way, there are not many questions about the total cost of the project and our clients can pick optional extensions and customizations they want and see the total updated. This way, both you and your developer are protected because you will know exactly for what and how much you paid and your developer will know what was paid for and what will be extra if you will ask for something else later.

Hope this helps.

Anton Pachkine @ magento2.hosting : Magento Small Business Package.

Thanks, @Finestshops! Yes this was just their first estimate and they plan on providing an itemized list like you suggested, which will undoubtedly help clarify the scope of the project. From what I've read it seems like an accurate estimate for folks that have gone through it but reassurance from the Magento Community will keep my mind at ease when I pitching this to the higher-ups in the company.

I wonder why 50k? Is your store highly customized? Are they planning to migrate M1 theme as well?

Setting aside a custom theme, if you are OK with the default M2 Luma theme I would not expect a quote of more than $4k. Number of products, orders etc do not matter, it is all done by automatic script anyway.

Hi Albert, 

I understand that as a store manager, you need to know the estimated time and cost to implement your Magento migration project. However, in order to get an accurate quote from developers, you need to provide them with your site information as much detail as possible. For example:

+) Design: which design option do you prefer? (use a ready-made theme for Magento 2 or design a new one from the scratch)

+) Data migration: which database assets do you want to migrate to Magento 2? (products, categories, orders, customers, blog content...)

+) Extension: which Magento extensions do you want to migrate to the new site? Do they have Magento 2 versions?

+) Functions: are there any custom functions in your existing site? which payment and shipping methods do you want to integrate?

Here are some useful guides for you to estimate the Magento migration cost and Magento migration time yourself.

In general, a Magento 2  migration project will take from 1-3 months and cost $2,000-$10,000 on average if you outsource it to Magento agencies in Asia (e.g.: Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, India...). In order to get an exact quote, just contact directly with the Magento development company and tell them about your requirements and expectations. 

Wish you success in migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2!

[ Tigren - Elite Magento E-commerce Solutions Provider - www.tigren.com ]

Hi Albert,

I was perusing your site, and I don't think your site have done many customization. Does your site integrates with other third party solution such as CRM, ERP, Accounting, POS, etc?

Migrating your custom features is the biggest challenge in Magento 2 migration. I think getting a detail list of the items would be helpful. Number of products do not give a huge impact to the cost, however, type of products may impact. I think it should not cost you more than 20k for the migration and a new store design.

Wishing you best.

Loken Thoudam

Hi Albert,

When it comes to migration from M1 to M2, there are following elements you need to take into consider -:

• Do you need new creative design or not? (UI / UX)
  • Do you want to migrate all data from old store to new store?
    • Catalogue Data (Product, Category)
    • Customer Data
    • Order Data
    • Newsletter Data
    • CMS pages / blog
  • Do you want to build your theme from scratch or you have out of the box Magento 2 themes to be installed?
  • Do you have third party extensions which are available in M2 or not?
  • Do you have custom extension which required to be rebuilt in M2?

There is a great Magento 1 to Magento upgrade estimator which can help you compare the cost with your developer's cost and then you can make the decision.

Best of luck with your migration, hope things go well for you! 

Hi !

To upgrade from Magento 1.9 to Magento 2 it will depend on the number of customization, store complexity, extensions required and data migration requirements. Migration for a typical store with minimal 3rd party integrations is 3 – 6 months (from 30,000 USD to 60,000 USD). I recommend QPSOFTWARE, a Magento expert China to help with this. They have several examples of work on Magento and they could definitely help you with this.

Hi, I'm from India having a dedicated team of Magento developers having done 15+ Magento 1.9x to 2.x migrations till now for different clients. We do not charge a bang to our clients for Magento 1 to Magento 2 migration services. contact me on skype: webskysolutions for an affordable quote with a portfolio.

Thank you.

Hello,

How do you migrate from m1 to m2?

Using magento data migration tool? or from the custom module?

Thanks

Jafar