cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create auth.json in the user’s home directory. Where is home directory for Linux?

Create auth.json in the user’s home directory. Where is home directory for Linux?

On this page are directions:

http://devdocs.magento.com/guides/v2.0/install-gde/prereq/dev_install.html#instgde-prereq-compose-cl...

The directions say: if your user name is magento_user, create or edit /home/magento_user/.composer/auth.json

Where exactly is /home/?

Are the directions referring to the home folder in the computer folder that has all these folders with it:

bin, boot, cdrom, dev, etc, home, lib, lib64, media, mnt, opt, proc, root, run, sbin, snap, srv, sys, tmp, usr and var?

Thanks.

{
   "github-oauth": {
     "github.com": "<your github oauth id>"
   },
   "http-basic": {
      "repo.magento.com": {
         "username": "<public key>",
         "password": "<private key>"
      }
   }
}

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Create auth.json in the user’s home directory. Where is home directory for Linux?

Hi,

Generally home is under /home/username

something like the following will get you there

# Change Directory
cd /home/

# Do an List to see what directories are under home
ls -la

If you have ever used dos under windows, you should be ok. Note there is some overlap in commands, but I still get caught out

brendan

Developer

Re: Create auth.json in the user’s home directory. Where is home directory for Linux?

Thanks for your response.

I edited my original question to be more clear.

I still don't understand where the home directory is. I cd into it and the terminal takes me into it, but doesn't tell me where the home folder (if that is what it is) — is.

~$ cd /home/
/home$

ls -la tells me what's inside the home folder, but not where the home folder is.

Is this the home folder or is it a folder named home that is in the computer folder or drive in the list on the left? Thanks again.

home02.JPG

From my terminal

home_directory.jpg

Home in linux is like under windows c:\Users\Username

Generally its located under the root level as shown above. But if your on a shared server that could be anywhere.

If your looking for a file you could try the command

locate filename

brendan

Developer

So in context to the magento requirement

you should be from the terminal be able to change to the .compose directory to edit the file

brendan

Developer

My Linux ubuntu is installed inside a virtual box on my Windows OS.

I am supposed create this file and directory: /home/magento_user/.composer/auth.json

but I still don't know where the home directory is or the root directory either. I have seen folders named home and root when I click the computer link in that list I showed you.

Home in linux is like under windows c:\Users\Username

Where is this on linux? What do I click on or what folder do I open to find it?

For some reason, I cannot see your image in the previous post.

I dont run a desktop for any of my linux machines. Just open a terminal and you will be in the correct folder.

Brendan

Developer

Ok. Thanks for your help anyway.

Maybe some else has a ubuntu desktop, can see my image above and reply.

no worries,

btw drop to the terminal and run

pwd

this will show you where you are relative to the root directory

Developer

Thanks.

I will have to try that tomorrow. It's late here.