cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento 1 vs Magento 2

SOLVED

Magento 1 vs Magento 2

Hello, I currently have my website on magento 1 and wanted to migrate to magento 2. I hired someone that told me that my theme could not migrate to magento 2. I also spoke with a few freelancers who said that there were many bugs in magento 2 and that I should switch to a different ecommerce platform and leave magento all together. I am not sure if these freelancers were just not that familiar with magento 2 or was being truthful. I want to know is it better to keep magento 1 or would it be worth it to start new design on magento 2 from my psd. I should note that the site is not open to customers yet so there are no orders or other data needing migration.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Magento 1 vs Magento 2

Hi @msmona,

Magento is the most popular e-commerce platform. The reason for that is that it provides a lot of features out-of-the-box for your e-commerce website, but in addition to that it's a flexible platform that can be customized based on your needs.

You should definitely choose Magento 2, which has been released more than a year ago and it's being improved in every update.

Regarding your question related to Magento 1 vs Magento 2, you should consider that Magento 1 will be supported for 3 years more.

Considering that, you should choose Magento 2 if you want to invest in your website and have upgrades/updates in the long term, including bugfixes and security patches.

Best regards.

Gabriel

Welcome to the Magento Forums. Remember to introduce yourself and read the Magento Forums Guidelines.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi @msmona,

Magento is the most popular e-commerce platform. The reason for that is that it provides a lot of features out-of-the-box for your e-commerce website, but in addition to that it's a flexible platform that can be customized based on your needs.

You should definitely choose Magento 2, which has been released more than a year ago and it's being improved in every update.

Regarding your question related to Magento 1 vs Magento 2, you should consider that Magento 1 will be supported for 3 years more.

Considering that, you should choose Magento 2 if you want to invest in your website and have upgrades/updates in the long term, including bugfixes and security patches.

Best regards.

Gabriel

Welcome to the Magento Forums. Remember to introduce yourself and read the Magento Forums Guidelines.

Hello Gabriel,

Thank you so much! You made it easy for me.

Gabriel,

Do you recommend using a current theme and integrating my design on building from scratch?

Hi @msmona,

Building a theme from scratch is better since you will be able to add just the libraries and custom code that you need (a theme comes with a lot of additional extensions and libraries that affect the website performance, and make it harder to customize since there are too many dependencies).

Best regards.
Gabriel

Thank you so much.

Magento 2.0 has lot of features and improvement if we compare with the magento 1.x so it defiantly it comes with the beneficial for you who like to do improvement for his website. But if you think about the cost efficient way for your business magento going to support for older version may be until 2017 so there is no compulsion to switch immediately to magento 2.0. All Magento 1.x users have time to decide about this migration until magento 1.x support from Magento Company.

* Think and decide what you need in the new features of magento 2.x
* Choose the correct magento development company for maintain your Magento website

Magento 2 Data Migration