cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento 2 "Unable to get content for" error

Magento 2 "Unable to get content for" error

Hello, @bee tv @film plus

I have a Magento 2 in development. I have installed a module/extension for shipping. However after installing it, I get errors on the front page in my browser developer tools.

In the var/log exception log it gives me the error "main.CRITICAL: Unable to get content for 'frontend/Vendor/Theme/en_US/Vendor_Module/js/shippingmodule.js"

Does anyone know what this error means? Unable to get content for? I am not sure where to look to solve the issue.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Magento 2 "Unable to get content for" error

Hello @snowfightec042 

It's a shippingmodule.js file issue. So please create shippingmodule.js file in this path app/code/Vendor/Module/view/frontend/web/js/ and then run the following commands:

• php bin/magento s:up
  • php bin/magento s:d:c
  • php bin/magento s:s:d -f
  • php bin/magento c:f

If you find our reply helpful, please give us kudos.

A Leading Magento Development Agency That Delivers Powerful Results, Innovation, and Secure Digital Transformation.

WebDesk Solution Support Team

Get a Free Quote | | Adobe Commerce Partner | Hire Us | Call Us 877.536.3789

Thank You,

WebDesk Solution Support Team
Get a Free Quote | Email | Adobe Commerce Partner | Hire Us | Call Us 877.536.3789

@snowfightec042 wrote:

Hello, @bee tv @film plus

I have a Magento 2 in development. I have installed a module/extension for shipping. However after installing it, I get errors on the front page in my browser developer tools.

In the var/log exception log it gives me the error "main.CRITICAL: Unable to get content for 'frontend/Vendor/Theme/en_US/Vendor_Module/js/shippingmodule.js"

Does anyone know what this error means? Unable to get content for? I am not sure where to look to solve the issue.

Hello snowfightec042,

I am just want to tell you that 

The error message you're encountering, "Unable to get content for," typically indicates that Magento 2 is unable to retrieve a specific file or resource. In this case, it seems to be related to the JavaScript file "shippingmodule.js" from the "Vendor_Module" module/theme.

To resolve this issue, you can follow these steps:

1. Check File Existence: Verify that the file "shippingmodule.js" exists in the expected location: app/design/frontend/Vendor/Theme/Vendor_Module/web/js/shippingmodule.js. Make sure the file path and filename are correct.

2. File Permissions: Ensure that the file and its parent directories have the appropriate file permissions so that Magento can access them. Generally, the files should have read permissions for the web server user (e.g., Apache or Nginx).

3. Static Content Deployment: If you've recently installed or updated the module, it's essential to run the static content deployment command. From your Magento root directory, run the following command:

php bin/magento setup:static-content:deploy
    This command will regenerate the static files, including JavaScript, CSS, and other assets, for the module.
  4. Cache Clearing: Clear the Magento cache to ensure that the updated static content is loaded. You can do this by running the following command:

php bin/magento cache:clean

Additionally, you can try flushing the cache storage by running:

php bin/magento cache:flush
  5. Theme Compilation: If you're using Magento's static view files signing feature, you might need to recompile your theme. Run the following command:

php bin/magento setup:upgrade
    php bin/magento setup:di:compile
    php bin/magento setup:static-content:deploy

This will recompile the necessary files and ensure the proper generation of static files.

After following these steps, refresh your front-end page and check if the error still persists. If the issue remains, consider investigating further by examining the file path, verifying module configuration, and reviewing any relevant logs or error messages.

Note: It's always recommended to take a backup of your files and database before making any changes to your Magento installation.

Hello, @bee tv

The error message you provided suggests that there is a critical issue with the file 'shippingmodule.js' within the 'Vendor_Module' component of the theme in the 'en_US' (English - United States) locale of a frontend application.

Here's a breakdown of the error message:

main.CRITICAL: This indicates that the error has been logged at the "CRITICAL" level, which means it's a severe issue that needs immediate attention.
Unable to get content: This part of the message suggests that there is a problem fetching or loading the content of the specified file.
'frontend/Vendor/Theme/en_US/Vendor_Module/js/shippingmodule.js': This is the file path that caused the error.
Potential reasons for this error could include:

File not found: The file specified in the path may not exist at the given location.

Incorrect file path: There might be a mistake in the file path provided in the code, leading to the failure in fetching the file.

Permissions issue: The web server or application may not have the necessary permissions to access the file.

File content loading issue: There could be an issue with how the file content is being loaded or fetched by the application.

To troubleshoot and fix the error, you can try the following steps:

Check file existence: Verify that the file 'shippingmodule.js' actually exists at the specified location: 'frontend/Vendor/Theme/en_US/Vendor_Module/js/'.

Verify file path: Double-check the file path in the code to ensure there are no typos or errors in the path.

Permissions: Ensure that the web server or application has the appropriate permissions to access the file and its directory.

File content loading: If the file exists and the path is correct, investigate how the file content is being loaded. If there's an issue with the loading mechanism, you may need to fix that part of the code.

Debugging and Logging: Implement additional logging and debugging to get more information about the error and its context. This could help pinpoint the exact cause of the issue.

Keep in mind that the actual solution may depend on the specific context of your application and the technologies you are using. If you are working on a specific platform or framework, it might be beneficial to consult their documentation or community forums for further assistance.