cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from Magento 1 to 2 on a different server

Migrating from Magento 1 to 2 on a different server

I am running Magento 1 on a service that does not have the resources to accommodate Magento 2.  I have provisioned new hosting services and have a clean install of Magento 2 community edition there.  Magento 1 continues to run live on the old server.

Can I successfully use the migration tool between two servers, or does it have to be local.  I noticed you could specify a remote SQL server in the config.xml for the migration tool, but what about all of the product and category image files, etc?  How does it grab those?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Migrating from Magento 1 to 2 on a different server

The marked as solved solution may guide you handle tasks on new server https://community.magento.com/t5/Installing-Magento-1-x/Migration-Magento-1-9-x-from-a-server-to-ano...

Hello @captainharlock 

You no worry about the images. Once you done your migration you just need to copy all the media/catalog folder from M1 to M2 (pub/media/catalog) and all the images will automatic take.

Also I prefer to use local for the migration. Why I suggest you local because of the May be you can get some memory limit on server when you migrate the data.

If my answer is useful, please Accept as Solution & give Kudos

Thank you
Anant Prajapati
Magento Certified Developer

You can migrate all your data including products and category image files with an automated data migration tool.

With only a few clicks, your data will be migrated successfully from Magento 1 to Magento 2. Follow this guide for more information.