cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie problem with drop down option on product

SOLVED

Newbie problem with drop down option on product

Hi

I need help creating a drop down option on a product (e.g. size or color of the product).

I have done the following:

- created a new "drop down" attribute

- added my new attribute to a new attribute set

- created a new product and assigned it the new attribute set.

The drop down box is not being displayed on the web site. In the "More information" tab below the product (on the web site) the default value (in the drop down options) is printed, but the drop down box is not shown.

Can anyone advise what I have done wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Newbie problem with drop down option on product

@steve_jeffrey

Hi Steve,

You would need to create configurable product to achieve what you are looking for. You need to create simple product (also called as variations of configurable product). Once you have them ready let say more than 1. You can go ahead and create your configurable product to see the drop down on the website. There are many reason to create simple product and using them to create configurable product. Couple of important reason are to manage inventory and Price of simple product.

Attribute you created is to set the default value of the product. For example a shirt can be in many colors. To set correct color for the shirt you need to have an attribute of dropdown type with different color option. This is how you can create separate unique products and using them create a configurable product. Once you have a configurable product created you can browse the same on your website. Such product will have drop down for Color/Size etc depends on your configuration.

Initially it looks complicated but once you'll create 1-2 then you'll be master of it. Here is the link on how to create configurable product.

https://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/catalog/product-create-configurable.html

Another option is to create custom options. This can be quick where you do not need to create variations. However, drawback it managing the inventory of each variation cannot be done. Follow the below link for the same:

https://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/catalog/settings-advanced-custom-options.html

Problem solved? Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

- Tarandeep
Problem solved?Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hello @steve_jeffrey

Try below shared commands once if they work for you:

rm -R var/cache/* var/page_cache/* var/di/* var/generation/* var/view_preprocessed/* pub/static/*

php bin/magento setup:upgrade

php bin/magento setup:static-content:deploy -f

php bin/magento setup:di:compile

php bin/magento cache:flush

sudo chmod -R 0777 var/ pub/ var/generation

Now try to check attribute again. Please kudos and mark as solution if it will work for you. Thanks. Cheers coding Smiley Happy

Manish Mittal
https://www.manishmittal.com/

Hi Manish

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately it didn't seem to work.

I have tried following the docs. It refers to "configurable" products but I am not sure if that is what I want. I tried making the product configurable but it seemed to generate a series of products (one for each possible value of the attribute). In any case it didn't display a drop down box for selecting anything.

cheers

steve

@steve_jeffrey

Hi Steve,

You would need to create configurable product to achieve what you are looking for. You need to create simple product (also called as variations of configurable product). Once you have them ready let say more than 1. You can go ahead and create your configurable product to see the drop down on the website. There are many reason to create simple product and using them to create configurable product. Couple of important reason are to manage inventory and Price of simple product.

Attribute you created is to set the default value of the product. For example a shirt can be in many colors. To set correct color for the shirt you need to have an attribute of dropdown type with different color option. This is how you can create separate unique products and using them create a configurable product. Once you have a configurable product created you can browse the same on your website. Such product will have drop down for Color/Size etc depends on your configuration.

Initially it looks complicated but once you'll create 1-2 then you'll be master of it. Here is the link on how to create configurable product.

https://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/catalog/product-create-configurable.html

Another option is to create custom options. This can be quick where you do not need to create variations. However, drawback it managing the inventory of each variation cannot be done. Follow the below link for the same:

https://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/catalog/settings-advanced-custom-options.html

Problem solved? Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

- Tarandeep
Problem solved?Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.