cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL database permissions during installation, shared hosting

SQL database permissions during installation, shared hosting

I have a running 1.9.2 site and installed that obviously with no issue.

Shared hosting on Dreamhost where SQL users have the following permissions:

Select
Insert
Update
Delete
Create
Drop
Index

I'm certain I'm not going to be the only one with this issue, install stops at database creation:

Database user does not have enough privileges. Please make sure SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, REFERENCES, INDEX, ALTER, CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES, LOCK TABLES, EXECUTE, CREATE VIEW, SHOW VIEW, CREATE ROUTINE, ALTER ROUTINE, EVENT, TRIGGER privileges are granted to table 'MYTABLE'

Is there any workaround to make progress on installing 2.0?

Guess I should have waited, all but finished with 1.9.2 but seeing the drastic difference in versions and lack of automatic updating there seems little point in continuing with 1.9.2.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: SQL database permissions during installation, shared hosting

As the system said, you have not enough MySQL permissions. So you need to choose another hosting plan with enough  MySQL permissions.

Thank you for your help and kind clarification of the message itself.

Realizing, of course, the potential outcome from my installation results my point is that many will have this issue and after not having it with the same provider running 1.9.2 (or lesser versions for that  matter).

I would think there would be a lot of upset people who have to find another host just to continue their existing site.

Maybe the scenario potential was announced?   I did try to do due diligence prior to posting and I apologize if that is the case.

As to my question itself, I was unsure if these settings were necessary only for the installation process or for the package operation itself. 

If it was only the installation there might be a way to, for example, import the database and bypass the step, etc..

I do not recommend to cheat the system during installation because the lack of MySQL permissions can break your store at any further moment.

Thanks, perhaps someone else has something to add.  Your point is taken.

Here is Dreamhost's response to this issue (taken from https://discussion.dreamhost.com/thread-146862.html):

"Some of the permissions Magento is looking for (notably, REFERENCES and EVENT) do not exist on the version of MySQL we currently provide. This is a Magento bug. You will need to wait for an update to Magento which fixes it, or bypass the database permissions check."

I believe Dreamhost is on MySQL version 5.6.25.

According to mysql documentation, these keywords (REFERENCES and EVENT) are available in MySQL5.6 and have been available since MySQL 5.5 https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/keywords.html and https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/keywords.html

Thanks for the follow-up, sounds like regardless there are no workarounds or willingness to provide them.

For me unfortunately I had to move on and start from scratch, losing lots of work, with another package. 

The lack of any workaround really did, and still does, bug me since I really liked Magento and wanted to continue with the all but ready 1.9 build I had with painstaking importing of LOTS of data.

If the solution is as simple as the response makes it sound it surprises me that nothing was suggested.  Perhaps I was wrong and I was the only one effected or others haven't made the switch yet.

Still staying in touch, I've used so many packages over the years there is certainly a chance I will be back or develop 2.0 for someone else.

You could look at this thread, but it is NOT recommended mainly since Magento 2 uses the feature of timestamps that was introduced in 5.6 (and which is an incompatible MySQL change), and also since search will behave differently and have a different performance characteristic.

Hi j3ff,

Any improvements on this topic?

I am also very concerned and would lke to use dreamhost...

Did you bypass the database checks or aborted going to 2.0?

Thanks for bringing up the topic.