cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to switch from DEVELOPER mode to PRODUCTION mode?

When to switch from DEVELOPER mode to PRODUCTION mode?

Hi.  I am new to Magento.  Installed M2.1.7.  It is currently in Developer Mode while we are building the site.  The theme, extensions and navigation are pretty much all setup.  We are still building products, importing images and creating other content. 

Should we switch to Production mode now? 

We are receiving some strange behaviours, such as product URL Key not resolving and producing 404 page not found errors.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: When to switch from DEVELOPER mode to PRODUCTION mode?

Hi @BillB16

ok - i understand your problem !

As you mention that theme,extensions and navigation all are pretty much ready then YES - you can put your website in production mode , there is no issue at all - because importing products/images/videos - that would not harm on this , that we can do in production as well !

Actually main reason is in production we can not see any error on the website - but error  is logs - in the log directory (Var/Report) Directory - so its difficult to identify error on that !

But in your case it will works - so there is no issue at all - regarding URL key error yes its on import process side - so its still work or logged in report directory !

So on a conclusion i would suggest yes you can make it in production mode !

Hope it helps !

if issue solved,Click Kudos & Accept as Solution

Thank you @Manthan Dave!

I will change mode to Production.   Maybe this will also resolve the 404 errors.

Yes !! also do reindexing by running below command :

php bin/magento indexer:reindex

if your issue gets solved the mark answer accept as solution so other user gets helped on the same ..

Happy to help and keep helping Smiley Happy
if issue solved,Click Kudos & Accept as Solution