cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my experience with 2.0 thus far... (not much, read notes)

my experience with 2.0 thus far... (not much, read notes)

I guess i was expecting more out of the release.  but i didn't expect to have to be a rocket scientist to just get it installed.

having a test store running 1.9.2.1 i decided i'd give it a whirl and install / upgrade.   a couple of my notes:

1)  i did a full backup of my magento 1 store and database and put them off to local storage (keeping the database on the server for migration).

2)  removed all the old magento 1 files

3)  uploaded all the new magento 2 files

4)  ran through the magento 2 install and set up a new data source.

5)  installation complete.

---- this is where it gets fun ----

** after the installation, there are no CSS accessible files from the store.  looks like a plain text site for both the frontend and backend.   tried different fixes here, but still didn't get anywhere.

** ran through the migration script as best as i could with shell access.

--- bin/magento migrate:settings ~/public_html/vendor/magento/data-migration-tool/etc/ce-to-ce/1.9.2.1/config.xml   (completed)

--- bin/magento migrate:data -r ~/public_html/vendor/magento/data-migration-tool/etc/ce-to-ce/1.9.2.1/config.xml (couple of exceptions, but nothing major)

--- bin/magento migrate:delta -r ~/public_html/vendor/magento/data-migration-tool/etc/ce-to-ce/1.9.2.1/config.xml

--- [Migration\Exception]  Delta delivering failed

---------------------------------------

tried to load the store at that point and got the infamous error message that doesn't explain anything.

and this is where i sit...    still trying to figure things out in my free time to even get an empty store displaying properly.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: my experience with 2.0 thus far... (not much, read notes)

Hi @WebAlterations, what error message are you receiving?

Have you checked your file permissions? Sometimes that's the problem: https://community.magento.com/t5/Installing-Magento-2/Magento-2-0-CSS-not-loading-properly/m-p/23115...

--

Developer Relations, Adobe Experience Cloud
Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!
Still stuck? Check out our documentation: https://magento.com/resources/technical

i've checked the permissions multiple times..  i looked at changing the symboic link fix someone had posted, but still nothing.   i cleared the pub/static directory and lost all css again..

and i'm just trying to get this all to display correctly before i try to migrate the data from the old site...

here's a link to my testing site

That's the exact problem i had, spent hours messing around with it changing permissions etc, it's a joke really the amount of people that have this problem, change this change that run this run that, hilarious. I don't know what to suggest to get it running for you i tried all the so called fixes etc. Best thing is to dump it and wait a couple of years until it's ready.

good.  i'm not losing my mind..    i've put the project on hold until i see that it's a lot more stable.   i prefer when you can just run the install and it works..   too many problems and no good migration path for this project is going to make it fail.   too many people don't want to mess with this.   i'll stick with my clients and where they are at now with various versions of 1.7 to 1.9.2.2 and be happy with that, i'm sure they will be too when i mention all of the problems.

In majority cases, you see the issue if your permissions for CLI and Apache are not shared. So Magento can't generate static files due permission issues. 

Also it depends of mode you are using.

For most "quick" installation in terms try to use developer mode. It will generate assets on fly. 

“Giving up is the only sure way to fail.”

Max

I found the solution to this. I previosuly migrated data with same tool so that generated migration-tool-progress.lock file. I haven't removed it and run migrations so for setting and data it shows that migration completed but no data imported to system and got delta error as well. After that I removed the lock file and run migrations again and it work like charm. Please try and upvote if this works for you as well Smiley Happy Any further query reach me at ashish_sharma@rvtechnologies.co.in