cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.0.4 Good enough for full production or newer release just around corner?

2.0.4 Good enough for full production or newer release just around corner?

Is 2.0.4 good enough for full retail production development and use or is there a newer version just around the corner? Can't wait the 3 months it took for 2.0.2 to 2.0.4.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: 2.0.4 Good enough for full production or newer release just around corner?

2.0.4 is the latest production version: https://github.com/magento/magento2/releases

A newer version is only in the develop code branch: https://github.com/magento/magento2/commits/develop

2.0 is in production on many sites. It works. I would always start from the latest patch (or an earlier patch and upgrade) as it includes improvements, and in this case security fixes. Or start with an earlier distribution (e.g. if using a site such as GoDaddy or Digital Ocean etc with prebuilt images) and upgrade to the latest patch level before going live.

There is a 2.1 release coming out soon (it is moving into the testing cycle) - we work on multiple strands in parallel (2.1 is not tied to 2.0 patches). Also, a foundational principle of M2 is to make upgrades easier. We are going to do more frequent releases (and patches) going forward. We need to iteratively improve our internal processes to reduce overheads and fix up the quality of patching, but going from 2.0 to 2.1 should not be a big effort. (Being a realist, I would not be surprised if some speed bumps might come up with the first major upgrade using Composer, but improving upgrades and patches is a major focus for M2.) So no reason to not start with 2.0.4 today and migrate to 2.1 when ready.

Note: when 2.1 launches there may be a lag before the extensions catch up. We have it on the books to make a "release candidate" available to extension developers early so they can test before the final release. With 2.1 extension developers can see the code early on GitHub, but its not a full experience with Composer version management etc to test the full end-to-end experience of installation and upgrades. The Magento Marketplace is launching very soon as a part of this experience. Step 1 is get the Marketplace up, then we are going to look towards improving the experience for the ecosystem - this is one of the planned things to do.

But it is not "2.0 does not work in production and 2.1 does". 2.0 does work in production. 2.1 will just be better. And 2.2 will be better after that again. But it will be more about incremental improvement from now on.

so 2.1 maybe in 3-4 months time? been waiting for the marketplace forever and all been reading is 'coming soon'. And until then no further revisions from 2.0.4 or 2.0.5 coming out next week?

2.1 is more like "a month or so" - definitely not 3 to 4 months. It is not my place to make external commitments on timelines here which is why I hedge on some topics. But I can say major development is wrapping up, it is going into QA now. But we have Imagine in the middle of it, which is a pretty big distraction for lots of folks.

Yes, Marketplace is later than we wanted. We have been running betas with subsets of developers, doing walk throughs, getting back feedback, reworking based on that feedback, etc. But we are trying to move the dial a away from purely "date is everything" towards more "quality matters". Painful we know, but ultimately I think better for everyone.

Please note you can buy Magento 2 extensions today (we list them on the Connect site - https://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/magento-2 ). It is the online store and unified Composer installation experience to get them that is missing. So it is not a blocker for M2 projects needing extensions, but it is not the convenience we are after. Getting the store up will solve the convenience issue.

Oh, I realized I may not have completely answered all your questions. The online marketplace experience I would expect available in the next month or so (again, not my place to commit other teams to dates, but it is getting close).

And 2.0.5 patch release date is independent to 2.1 and Marketplace. It is more of a business decision on when a patch has sufficient content to be worth the QA cycle and patch release. Patches are to address bug fixes. I think you will see them become smaller and more frequent as we continue to improve test automation with M2 (it lowers the cost of releasing a patch). M2 is hugely better than M1 (no automated testing), but we are not finished yet. There is an interesting question of if we release patches too frequently, does it become more disruptive than beneficial. But that train of thought can wait until after Imagine!

Thanks akent