cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento 2 release cycle

Magento 2 release cycle

Hi,

I was just wondering what the normal release cycle for for M2? I got burnt a little bit on the 2.0.0 to 2.0.1 upgrade which caused a lot of pain.

I know this is fixed in the 2.0.2 release, but I'm still nervous doing any work with that just yet and want to witness the 2.0.3 release and that people upgrade safely to that with no issues.

Which begs the question, when is 2.0.3 due and is there a normal release cycle pattern?

Thanks, Carl

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Magento 2 release cycle

We are still working out the appropriate cadence for patch releases. Do we release more frequently, less frequently, etc. The M1 days they were not released frequently. I have a personal expectation we will move towards more frequent, smaller, (and better tested) releases as we move forward. As we continue to improve the test automation coverage, this makes it easier to do so with greater confidence of changes. This is an ongoing effort.

Yes, the 2.0.1 experience was not what we were after. While no excuses from me, it was the first patch we ever released in the new model and it highlighted some problems. I am not expecting the same problem to reoccur for future patch releases. 

@akent99 wrote:

We are still working out the appropriate cadence for patch releases. Do we release more frequently, less frequently, etc. The M1 days they were not released frequently. I have a personal expectation we will move towards more frequent, smaller, (and better tested) releases as we move forward. As we continue to improve the test automation coverage, this makes it easier to do so with greater confidence of changes. This is an ongoing effort.

Sounds good. Though, do you have any estimate on the release schedule of 2.0.3 ? This month, in next three months, 6 months ?

I stumbled upon this question and I'm asking this because there are some issues in the REST implementation of the latest release that we must workaround  - these fixes have been targeted to the 2.0.3 release in the issue db. To know, if the release is coming soon would be great as we would not have to do the workarounds we are planning to do soon.

Thanks,

Marko

I don't have a date for 2.0.3, but in general the goal is to accelerate the rate of patches (do smaller patches more frequently). So way before 6 months. I expect before 3 months for 2.0.3. This month I would certainly not commit to, but is not impossible. A part of all the test automation in M2 is to improve this cycle time, but we are taking an iterative improvement approach for each patch to improve on the previous one. So my prediction is it will get shorter and smoother over time. We are certainly aiming for better than M1.