cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I block active Shopping Cart Rules during sale? (eg Black Friday)

Can I block active Shopping Cart Rules during sale? (eg Black Friday)

Hi all,

I have several Shopping Cart Rules (Coupon Codes) that are always active and have no End Date (E.g.: 15% off for leaving a product review).

But during a big sale such as Black Friday, I will adjust my pricing to be much lower and I do not want anyone to be able to use any of these codes during my Sale period.

How can I set things up so that all active Shopping Cart rules are not usable during the sale?

Please note: I don't want to have to set them all as Inactive every time I have a sale and then reactivate them after. This is not a practical solution for me.

Any advice much appreciated! Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Re: Can I block active Shopping Cart Rules during sale? (eg Black Friday)

Yes, you can easily block active shopping cart price rules during a sale in Magento. Here are a couple ways to accomplish this:

1. Set up a "Black Friday" shopping cart price rule

• Create a new rule just for your Black Friday sale
  • Set the discount amount to 0% (so it effectively discounts nothing)
  • Set priority to be higher than your other rules
  • Configure date range to just cover your Black Friday sale period

This will override any other existing cart rules during the sale.

2. Temporarily disable the Apply Discount On Prices functionality

• Go to Stores > Configuration > Sales > Checkout
  • Find the "Apply Discount On Prices" section
  • Temporarily disable this during your sale period

This will prevent ANY shopping cart price rules from being applied during checkout.

3. Script to programmatically disable other rules

You could also create a small custom script to programmatically disable other cart rules just for the sale period.

The key is setting up a dedicated Black Friday rule or config that takes precedence over the others specifically during your promotion. This avoids having to manually change things each time.