cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Password Length Requirements / Send Email To Customer

Change Password Length Requirements / Send Email To Customer

Hello all,

I have just taken over our first Magento Store...so very new to this!  I have been reading through so many KBs and guidance docs...however I have two things for some reason I cannot find much info on...two things that seem to be easy in other stores so hopefully it's just me!

1) Change Minimum Password Requirements - I want to change the policy for the password requirements for customer accounts.  Is this anywhere in the Magento control panel?

2) How do you interect via email with customers through Magento?  I would like to send an email to an individual customer from within the store....so in essence same header/footer etc.  I cannot find anywhere to do this.

Any help on the above two would be greatfuly received!

We are using v1.9.1.0

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Change Password Length Requirements / Send Email To Customer

Hi @JDUK

1) If you mean minimum password length by minimum password the you can edit in the following file

\js\prototype\validation.js

['validate-password', 'Please enter 6 or more characters. Leading or trailing spaces will be ignored.', function(v) {
                var pass=v.strip(); /*strip leading and trailing spaces*/
                return !(pass.length>0 && pass.length < 6);  // Change to required digits
            }],

2)To intereract with customers you can use Magento newsletter feature.You can find it in the Magento admin panel.

You have to create the newsletter templates and then you can send these to your customers. Search Magento newsletter on Google.

---
Problem Solved Click Accept as Solution!:Magento Community India Forum

Thanks, really appreciated.

Really shocked that changing security password requirements is a file edit and not built-in to the CP.  Doesn't seem right at all.

Is it just the length of passwords that can be changed in that file or can we specify the makeup of a password such as Special Characters etc.?

Thanks for the Newsletter suggestion.  Unfortunately from what I have seen we cannot send the newsletter to a customer who has opted out of receiving them?  Is that correct?

@JDUK You can customize in validation.js as per your requirement for the password pattern or you can create a new validation class there in the same file.

Yes,You can send newsletters to the customers who subscribed to the newsletter on your site.

---
Problem Solved Click Accept as Solution!:Magento Community India Forum

Thanks.  Will have to look into the configuration for the password complexity file then.

Re the newsletter, so, just to check, it will only allow use to send the email if they have subscribed to a Newsletter?  I ask as there are times that one would want to send an email about a product purchased.  I know that you can add a message into a small box of an invoice/message but a normal header/footer email would be better.  For instance, if there is a delay on shipping a product then a nice direct email to the customer would be great.