cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing order state backwards from complete

Changing order state backwards from complete

Hi there,

We've had a bit of an issue where a clients staff member has misunderstood a process and marked over 100 orders and shipped/complete. The client has asked if we can revert  the order status (and state) back to New (Processing)? Be very handy if there's a bulk method but even a single order by order version would be better than nothing

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Changing order state backwards from complete

Hello.

Once the order has 'Complete' status, it seems to me, that there is no way to get the same order back to 'Processing' in backend.

You can go order-by-order, create credit memo offline and then reorder. This way current order will be closed and new one with the same details and 'Pending' status will be created.

Alternatively you can make changes with some queries (for tech experts at their own risk) or use extension. If you are interested in the second option, you can check Store Manager for Magento application that allows to bulk modify order status from any to any -

https://www.mag-manager.com/useful-articles/magento-orders-management/magento-change-order-status-to...

I guess you need it one-time, so you can do it free with fully-functional 14-day version that  you can download from the link in my signature.

Store Manager for Magento 1.x and 2.x - inventory management tool to automatically update products, customers, orders, and other data across multiple sales channels and suppliers.

Thanks very much for the help

In the end, I paid a freelancer to code a custom bit of script to migrate it all back

Hello - was this script made for M1 or M2?  

Yes, it is possible to revert the order status for multiple orders in bulk. One way to achieve this is by using the Magento 2 command-line interface (CLI) and running a command that changes the order status and state for multiple orders at once.

Here is an example command that you can use:

php
Copy code
bin/magento order:unhold <order_id> [--state=<state>] [--status=<status>]
You would need to replace <order_id> with the ID of the order that you want to change the status for. If you want to change the status and state for multiple orders at once, you can add multiple order IDs separated by commas.

For example, if you want to change the status and state for orders with IDs 100, 101, and 102 to "Processing" and "New," you can use the following command:

sql
Copy code
bin/magento order:unhold 100,101,102 --state=new --status=processing
This will change the status and state for all three orders to "Processing" and "New" at once.

Note that this command will only work for orders that are currently in a "Holded" status. If the orders have already been marked as "Shipped" or "Complete," you may need to take additional steps to revert the status back to "Processing."

Regards,

Rachel Gomez