cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create multiple drop downs in one product?

How to create multiple drop downs in one product?

Hi,

How do I create multiple drop downs in a listing in Magento. I can create one and it works fine, but when I create another it only allows me to select one of the options on the drop down.

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: How to create multiple drop downs in one product?

Hi Max,

There are two similar input types you can use:

• A Dropdown field allows the customer to choose only one option.
  • A Multiple Select field looks like a dropdown, but allows the customer to choose multiple options by holding down the Ctrl key and clicking each item.

A product can have multiple fields of different input types, such as Multiple Select, Dropdown,  and so on. To learn more, see Custom Options in the user guide.

Configurable products specifically use dropdowns for product variations. Each dropdown represents a different attribute, such as color and size. The customer can choose only one option from each dropdown.

I hope this helps!

Claire

(DELETE ME - DUPLICATE POST)

Hi Max,

There are two similar input types you can use:

• A Dropdown field allows the customer to choose only one option.
  • A Multiple Select field looks like a dropdown, but allows the customer to choose multiple options by holding down the Ctrl key and clicking each item.

A product can have multiple fields of different input types, such as Multiple Select, Dropdown,  and so on. To learn more, see Custom Options in the user guide.

Configurable products specifically use dropdowns for product variations. Each dropdown represents a different attribute, such as color and size. The customer can choose only one option from each dropdown.

I hope this helps!

Claire

Hi Claire,

Thanks for your reply. The problem I have here though is that I am listing a '5 pack of brushes' in diff. colours on my store so I want 5 separate drop downs each with the same content eg. (red, pink, green etc.)

So, I've created these, and say I choose the colour red which is the 3rd option on the 1st drop down, when I go to select the next colour from the 2nd drop down I can only select the 3rd option down (as thats the one I selected on the first drop down) and just doesn't let me click on of the other options in that drop down or any of the others. If you get me? (quite confusing haha)

Have attached a photo of what I mean to help clarify.

As you can see Ive selected red for the first drop down and the second wont even let me highlight any other colours but red again.

Example

Cheers,

Max.

Since the color attribute can have only one value at a time, (which is already red) you wll need to create additional color attributes  for color2, color3, color4, and color5.  I think this should fix it.

I have created 5 new different attributes Pack 1, Pack 2 etc then added them into a group together and still same problem.

I have tried mixing the colours around too, however, it just seems to keep to what ever order is first selected in the first drop down. I have looked all over trying to find a solution but cannot seem to find anything.

I'm assuming  this a configurable product, rather than a  simple product with custom options. Custom options don't reference attributes, so the additional attributes you set up would be ignored. Did you include the additional attributes in the attribute set? (They must be, or you wouldn't be able to use them.)  I'll have to think about this some more, and try it out.

Yes, it is a configurable product and all the attributes are in the correct attribute set. 

Ok, thank you. Let me know if you come up with a solution and likewise.

Cheers,

Max.

I've found out that the reason I'm not allowed to select any other colours is because it says they are out of stock. Even though I have every child and the parent set to in stock.... Does this help at all with finding the solution?